|Porridge Gruel

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MOLMQ 12 December 2014 Porridge Gruel
A gruel/porridge was made from, hard wheat, nixtamalized Indian corn,groats,and sorghum.Each ingredient was blended fine with water and all was mixed in a cooking pot. The pot was placed in a double boiler to inhibit burning and cooked for two hours.The porridge was allowed to cool then placed in plastic containers and frozen until required. Each container has about four breakfasts. Compare this with supermarket packaged
URL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Tryng to figure out the reason for this post, and the blueberry cranberry ones. Please expand?

I couldn't see any recipes place so chose this area to post.

Food gardening, food, preservation, recipes are sort of related. I have an interest in different food, driven somewhat by the ubiquitous, obesity in out society. Am slightly of the opinion that our typical diet must be changed and indeed make an effort to do so. My post is a slight attempt to share my procedures. Possibly I am a voice in the wilderness but trying anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I make everything from scratch including my breads however I don't do long slow cooking in the winter because of the hydro rates.
In the summer I use my sun oven to make stews, soups, chiles and all other slow cooked items, in the winter for stews and soups I use my pressure cookers.
Interesting recipe although I must admit, you couldn't get me to eat oatmeal.

Now because it is Christmas I marathon baked evenings and now this weekend. I baked some oatmeal lace cookies... guess I'll count that as my porridge! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Gruel is almost a meal unto itself. It is just one of many relatively different foods of which I partake. Nutrition and simplicity is one of the aims. There is an attempt to limit use of processed foods as much as possible. Healthy or not who knows?

I have about four years of effort in my Journal. http://durgan.org/2011/

Basics ingredients are utilized as much as possible. I have a dehydrator, pressure cooker, flour mill, hand blender, food mill, double boiler, outdoor burner for processing aids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sounds good, but a lot of work. I think the idea of adding a recipe section to this forum would also be a good idea. I have posted a couple of recipes and just had to guess at the best place for them. Since we all have a live of garden fresh food, I bet we would get a lot of healthy recipes to try out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Beg to differ about the work in my food preparation. Most of the work is just getting the ingredients together, I do admit that it is necessary to hang around while the cooking take place.

Most of my preparation is Injun cooking-meaning all in one pot.

My condiments are salt, pepper, butter, soy sauce, and a bit of molasses. One salt shaker lasts me a year. Sugar I don't have in the house.

A division for Recipes, also a division for Food Preservation would enhance posting.

Ask a Question