"Poor man's fertilizer"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I grew up hearing that phrase. Simply it is all that white stuff that is covering many of our yards. I'm not a scientist, nor do I even care to look it up to see if it has merit or not. What I do know, and have observed in the 61 years I have been on this planet is; Every year we have had a good snow coverage the following spring we are rewarded with a much healthier garden, and lawn. I'm sure some has to do with it protecting many plants from the drying, and blustery cold winds, and that could be all there is to it..
Many here know, or should know how beneficial rain is as opposed to irrigating ourselves with tap water. From what I understand, snow picks up more particulates (minerals and the like) from the air that plants will thrive on, so one thing I took to doing right after a snowfall, is collect buckets of it to let thaw. I then use that to water my house plants, and starter trays. Anybody else do the same, or am I just chasing ghosts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I was told by a biologist that snow is high in nitrogen. I figured since I was shoveling tons of the stuff in upstate NY, I'd better believe in some beneficial effect!
We save rainwater for our gardens, chickens, and house plants, and at this time of year, the starter trays. I think the same reasons we use rainwater would hold for snow melt. Just be sure to let the snow water warm up before watering plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
It's all true. Lots of snow means I'll have a good hay crop. Cuts down on the fertilizing too. Not my favorite thing to do anyway. Lots of snow kills off lots of bugs too. No ghost chasing with that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, nitrogen. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

okay, I will finish my wine and go to bed,

minus 10f ...

thank goodness for blankies..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also save rain water for my inside and outside plants but haven't save snow yet. What an interesting and beneficial thing to do! I assume anything from nature is better than artificial and if snow give that boost in nitrogen then I am going to try to save some snow too. We have a foot deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I was told by a biologist that snow is high in nitrogen. I figured since I was shoveling tons of the stuff in upstate NY, I'd better believe in some beneficial effect!
We save rainwater for our gardens, chickens, and house plants, and at this time of year, the starter trays. I think the same reasons we use rainwater would hold for snow melt. Just be sure to let the snow water warm up before watering plants!

Now, that is an interesting idea to save snow. I have always used rainwater for both my outside and inside plants but never thought of snow. It does make sense and goodness knows I have a lot of snow in my garden area, I could use. Good tip to make sure the water is warmed before using.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Reading all your posts make me kind of jealous. We don't have snow here in the Philippines. So sad. I'm missing a lot in gardening and everything with ties to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Reading all your posts make me kind of jealous. We don't have snow here in the Philippines. So sad. I'm missing a lot in gardening and everything with ties to it.
Trust me you are missing nothing! It's now 4°F at this moment, which should drop another 3 degrees before sun up. Winds yesterday were peaking at 60 mph. brrrrrr

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The snow helps the water tables to stay high to avoid draught during the summer. Areas that do not get alot of snow and rain will not have the stored up water in the ground to help the plants grow when it is not raining or there is no one to water the plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are expecting snow some time today, we did get some over the weekend not much mostly ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Snow may be beneficial, but I still hate it. It's so wet and cold! Not to mention that it looks really ugly. I'd much rather look at green grass than look at frozen water:confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If there's lightning with the snow storms (as was the case here last few weeks) then that fixes Nitrogen from the atmosphere :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Snow??? Ours went some where else this winter.
image.jpg
Current snow pack looks more like August than February.

Poor man's fertilizer??? I was sure someone was going to say urine....:oops::whistle:

Ask a Question