Poor Man's Pig

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is the price we pay for living in Texas.

Attachments

• _MG_9377.JPG
    _MG_9377.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 294

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Google to the rescue!! (y) Trashcancarla, I understand @Chuck has some good barbecue recipes! :sneaky:

6 July 1961, Hayward (CA) Daily Review, pg. 12:
As it happens, the armadillo is very good eating itself, so much so that it is known as the “poor man’s pig” throughout much of the South.

27 April 1962, Salisbury (MD) Times, pg. 2:
The armadillo is known as the “poor man’s pig” in parts of Texas.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...oor_mans_pig_poverty_pig_armadillo_nicknames/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Texas Oyster On The HalfShell:
Split an armadillo down the back, wash and clean, add spices/sauce. Refridgerate for 3 hours while marinating. Place in BBQ shell side down for 2-4 hours or until done @ 275 degrees F. Place on serving tray and everybody dig in. Serve with flour tortillas, picodigayo and jalapenos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Google to the rescue!! (y)
Thanks for the info MM, i was thinking they might be groundhogs. A neighbor of mine is always complaining about the armadillos on his rancho at the edge of town. <<What to do?>> he is always saying. <<Eat them>> i say. He tells me that they cannot be eaten because they have diseases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info MM, i was thinking they might be groundhogs. A neighbor of mine is always complaining about the armadillos on his rancho at the edge of town. <<What to do?>> he is always saying. <<Eat them>> i say. He tells me that they cannot be eaten because they have diseases.
Those are old wives tales about them having diseases such as leprosy. If they had diseases I would have been dead 65 years ago. I have trapped, handled dozens of them and even one or two got eaten. They do have a flavor similar to swine. I think the reason they aren't eaten more is because they are a bit hard to clean. That shell is tough.

Ask a Question