Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF0003.JPG

And this is only a bit of it.

Cut out the midribs and blanched it by boiling for 2 minutes, then cooled as quickly as poss before open freezing over night.

DSCF0004.JPG

Will pack into bags tomorrow and deep freeze.

Reaction score
ok, I've never actually grown or eaten chard.... What exactly do you do with it? It looks a lot like rhubarb, but I'm guessing you don't mix it with strawberries and bake it in a pie!

Reaction score
I think that the green leaves taste a little like beets, and I use them in salads. I have never tried to cook the stems but I think that I will this Fall: right now my chard is only 3 inches tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow!:D I've never eaten chard...but I'm pretty sure that my grandmother used to make soup from it for my father when he was a child. I wonder if I would like it. Probably yes, since I love almost all vegetables. Only beet isn't edible in my opinion:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you of the opinion its cattle fodder then? :D

Beetroot is very nice, sugar beet can be a bit tough, but the leaves are good:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I had cattle, I wouldn't torture it with beetroot:p. Honestly, in my opinion it's the most disgusting vegetable ever. Yuck:eek:
As for sugar beet, I tried it only once, when I was a child, and I didn't like it either:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have recently become fond of chard through getting it in the weekly box at the farmer's market. I merely wash the leaves, cut them up and saute them with onions, herbs, and tomatoes. It's delicious! I was composting the stems until I read an article about plant parts normally discarded that should be eaten. Now I chop the stems and cook them with the onions for a bit before adding other ingredients. I like it so much I want to start growing my own.

Love beets! Very good and good for you. I roast them and use them in salads.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If I had cattle, I wouldn't torture it with beetroot:p. Honestly, in my opinion it's the most disgusting vegetable ever. Yuck:eek:
As for sugar beet, I tried it only once, when I was a child, and I didn't like it either:p

Like me with Cucumber then, I call it the Devil's Vegetable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like me with Cucumber then, I call it the Devil's Vegetable.
You don't like cucumber? Is it even possible not to like this delicious vegetable?:p I love eating sandwiches with fresh cucumber. And sometimes I eat cucumber like it was an apple, I only add a pinch of salt to it. Yummy! And I love, love, love pickles:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, cucumber tastes like beetroot does to you :D

Ask a Question