Orchard land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live literally right next to an orchard, I think technically I am on part of the orchard, they have just put a fence up between us and the trees. Now some things in my garde are growing ok-ish, but the borders nearest the fence are not doing well and the grass is very patchy. I am reading every gardening book and article under the sun to try and get it looking nice, does anyone have any ideas? Are the trees stealing the good stuff?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite probably! Pictures are worth a thousand words - if you're able to take a photo of the problem then we may be able to help :).

We get patches on our grass and slower growing shrubs on part of our garden as we've got a yew tree right in the middle - it sucks out all of the nutrients and takes the majority of the water. A sprinkling of Vitax Q4 plant food and a good drench of water every few days (when it's dry) keeps it ticking over though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did they spray something along the fence-line before installing it? What type of fence is it? Chainlink, stockade, post & rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite probably! Pictures are worth a thousand words - if you're able to take a photo of the problem then we may be able to help :).

We get patches on our grass and slower growing shrubs on part of our garden as we've got a yew tree right in the middle - it sucks out all of the nutrients and takes the majority of the water. A sprinkling of Vitax Q4 plant food and a good drench of water every few days (when it's dry) keeps it ticking over though.
Thank you, I will definitely look for that food, we are keeping it watered, trying to grow veg and the soil there is soooo dry so I think the trees are thieving it all. I will try and remember to take a picture for when I get back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did they spray something along the fence-line before installing it? What type of fence is it? Chainlink, stockade, post & rail?
No, but we painted it with timbercare and it went absolutely EVERYWHERE, would that have caused any problems do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of fence is it ?
It could just be the shade from it
It is very tall, around 7ft tall so you could be right, just your bog standard wooden fence with no gaps, we get a lot of light in the garden but there are a couple of places that get no light or sun at all.

Ask a Question