Please put me out of my misery and i.d. this plant. Bromeliad? Species? It's 15" in diameter. Any idea what the flower looks like? Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No idea how I acquired this plant. These are pups from the mother plant. A plant which has suffered untold neglect for decades; super hardy in Zone 10.
Thank you for identifying. Any info greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0984CD4E-BB6F-4096-816A-1C87B9916DB6.jpeg
    0984CD4E-BB6F-4096-816A-1C87B9916DB6.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 15
  • EAEBEB80-9A1E-4D1E-9EE1-3C96D32B0986.jpeg
    EAEBEB80-9A1E-4D1E-9EE1-3C96D32B0986.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I could be wrong but it looks like Common Sotol aka Desert Spoon (dasylirion wheeleri). It is a common west Texas desert plant with a small greenish whiteish flower on a tall stalk like a yucca has. This plant looks like a yucca or a cactus but it isn't. It is actually a distant cousin to asparagus. The way you tell them apart is that the Sotol has sawtooth leaves and the yucca doesn't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I could be wrong but it looks like Common Sotol aka Desert Spoon (dasylirion wheeleri). It is a common west Texas desert plant with a small greenish whiteish flower on a tall stalk like a yucca has. This plant looks like a yucca or a cactus but it isn't. It is actually a distant cousin to asparagus. The way you tell them apart is that the Sotol has sawtooth leaves and the yucca doesn't.
Possibly Puya, a bromeliad. It has thinner less stiff than Dasylirion. Takes years to flower and gets big.
A Redditor gave me the correct i.d., I think: Dyckia. Possibly D. goiana. If you have any thoughts on this, please share.

I had the mother plant in an 8" ceramic pot for decades. Totally ignored and neglected. Only received sporadic watering and rainwater. Split off the pups about a year ago (shown in photo) and sold a couple, too. Definitely a xeric plant.

Curious to see how big they get if inground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
I have these in my greenhouse. These plants are so close I just can't figure it out. I have replaced my pictures with larger ones...

Dyckia 'Betty Garrison' new.jpg

Dyckia 'Betty Garrison'

Dyckia.jpg

Dyckia

Puya chilersis.jpg

Puya chilersis

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not as bad as some of my other plants. But they definitely don't want to be touched . . . much.

Ask a Question