Plants to get rid of mosquitoes

Reaction score
I am looking for some plants to put around my house to keep mosquitoes away. I know about citronella and lemon grass. Are there any others that I can plant around that will help control them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, there are claims that aromatic herbs from basil to catmint (catnip) and that even marigold works. I have a wide variety of many of those and let me tell you that unless you create a forest you are still going to get mosquitoes. The key is to make sure there is no standing water around for the larvae to live in. Also, you need one or more essential oil of the repellent plant to put on your skin to deter them from biting.

Keep in mind, that everything in nature is about survival - what deters a mosquito this week may not work a month from now. If they don't feed, they don't live so try different combinations of oils.

Here's some info on plants you can grow:

http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335844914243/

Reaction score
Thank you ChanellG, I checked out your link, it was very helpful. I know that the plants will not keep all the mosquitoes away. I live in the south and they are horrible here! I am just trying everything I can to try to keep them under control. We love being outdoors but the bugs can run us back inside very quickly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome! I keep adding herbs and at some point I want to have the entire house surrounded by stuff like basil, mint, and lavender, lol.

Reaction score
We always had a lot of mint plants, lemon grass, mosquito plants, ect around our house and yard to help repel the biting insects. It seemed to work very well.

Reaction score
Lavender, peppermint, basil, marigold, cat mint or really any mint are a few. Cloves, bee balm, garlic and cedar trees are a few more that seem to work as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am still adding herbs and plants that supposedly deter mosquitoes, but think about it, when you're hungry, would anything but the most putrid smell keep you away from food? We're having some success with candles and with garden incense. I find rubbing basil leaves on my skin can help somewhat so I'm going to start experimenting with a homemade spray.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Contrary to what most people think, Citronella Oil that people burn to keep mosquitoes at bay is not from the Citronella plant. It is made from lemongrass. The citronella plant is no more effective than other plants that have a slight mosquito deterrence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When I spray, I spray the trees trunks and spray up quite high. They like up high because they can see prey as well as smell the wind, as well as detect infrared heat. Your question sent me to wiki, which sent me to the cdc, which sent me to the epa where I found this link:

https://www.epa.gov/mosquitocontrol/controlling-mosquitoes-larval-stage

I read lemon eucolyptus oil performed well as a repellant. I read about mosquitofish, and bacteria and fungi and benefical nematode controls. Thank you for the opportunity to expand my own awareness about mosquitoes.

Ask a Question