Planting with tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have four established cherry tomato plants in one of my raised beds. The only other thing in the box with them right now is a few basil plants. I would like to do some fall seed planting (mostly root veggies) in the same box along with the tomatoes but I just noticed the tomato root systems have completely taken over the entire box even though the tomatoes are only on one side. Is it OK to plant other vegetables among all the tomato roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have four established cherry tomato plants in one of my raised beds. The only other thing in the box with them right now is a few basil plants. I would like to do some fall seed planting (mostly root veggies) in the same box along with the tomatoes but I just noticed the tomato root systems have completely taken over the entire box even though the tomatoes are only on one side. Is it OK to plant other vegetables among all the tomato roots?
When is your first frost?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you plant vegetables that have shallow roots, you can get a fall harvest. I'd recommend leaf lettuces--quick to germinate and grow to harvesting size. Anything that is deep rooted like root vegetables (turnips, beets, carrots. etc.) will compete with the tomato roots and likely lose the fight, since they are young and the tomatoes aren't.
Of course, what you can plant now and expect to get a harvest depends on where you are and your growing zone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you plant vegetables that have shallow roots, you can get a fall harvest. I'd recommend leaf lettuces--quick to germinate and grow to harvesting size. Anything that is deep rooted like root vegetables (turnips, beets, carrots. etc.) will compete with the tomato roots and likely lose the fight, since they are young and the tomatoes aren't.
Of course, what you can plant now and expect to get a harvest depends on where you are and your growing zone.

Thank you. Yes, I was also thinking maybe just doing things with shallow roots instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tomatoes will be gone very soon anyway. You are in what zone? 6 or 7? If the ground freezes you won't be able to bring to harvest root crops anyway so I would do as @marlingardener advised.

Ask a Question