Planting to attract hummingbirds

Reaction score
Where I now live, taking care of my grandmother. I am limited to container gardening but I'm not letting that stop me. I've put together several mixed containers so far and hope to do some more next week. Anyway, my question is related to attracting hummingbirds as my grandmother loves them and has a hummingbird feeder.

I found two plants labeled as ones that attract hummingbirds - fuschia and another I can't remember the official name but it has pretty star-shaped flowers. What other plants are extra attractive to hummingbirds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They seem to love my cleomes, which are an annual that reseed themselves, so you really only need to plant them once. They get about 4-5' tall but only maybe 1' wide. Most people grow them in clusters, so they can be as wide as you'd like. For a container, you would probably only plant 3-4.

They also love my purple malva, also know as Zebrina Mallow. It's a perennial. It gets about 3-4' tall and is about 2' wide.

Both can be grown in containers, just make sure that they are large enough. Make sure that you water them frequently- in the summer, probably every day.

Cleome - this is probably 50 plants
cleome.jpg

Malva
malva.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I grew columbines but I never saw hummingbirds flock to them. Trumpet vines yes, butterfly bushes are so so, pholx and bee balm yes. Hibiscus is the same. Definitely fuschias for hummingbirds. My grandmother had them and hummingbirds went nuts. Honeysuckles draw them in really well too. Just gotta curb honeysuckles though since they love to spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh goodness yay! I planted 4 of those on the list last weekend. I love my hummingbirds. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I started a whole discussion for this a few weeks back. We can give you a list of things that attract them, like cuphea and salvia, but that won't do you any good if the plants can't thrive in your zone. You should check with the local extension office for plants specific to your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember that thread. It was very informative. Unfortunately, there are no hummingbirds in my area. I can plant any plant I want, but I can't change the climate:(

Galmal - it's so beautiful! It doesn't surprise me at all that hummingbirds love this plant:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started a whole discussion for this a few weeks back. We can give you a list of things that attract them, like cuphea and salvia, but that won't do you any good if the plants can't thrive in your zone. You should check with the local extension office for plants specific to your area.
I plant cuphea up hear. We just treat it as an annual, and boy do the hummers love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I plant cuphea up hear. We just treat it as an annual, and boy do the hummers love it!

Someone in the plant swap has a different variety so we're going to try and exchange cuttings. She has a better success rate than I do with the plant, but I'm hoping to get a propagation box going soon. I need to get some perlite and vermiculite.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
East coast, you must be talking about the Ruby-throated hummingbird.

Here's a short list:

Red buckeye, jewelweed, columbine, trumpet creeper, red morning-glory, wild bergamot, bee-balm, scarlet painted-cup, trumpet honeysuckle, fly-honeysuckle, cardinal flower, royal catchfly, round-leaved catchfly, fire-pink, four o’clock, phlox, coral salvia, lilies, scarlet sage, aloes, penstemons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The chart of different flowers to plant is fantastic! I have a few of them in the yard already, but haven't seen the hummingbirds. I think my area of traffic is too busy and scare them away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have hummingbirds here but the one attraction for birds is the guava tree. Birds love the ripe guavas and the scent of ripe guavas are attractants to birds. Another tree is the mulberry which the small birds love when the fruits are ripe. And another bird attraction is the wild passion fruit, the small ones with sweet seeds that birds really love.

Ask a Question