Planting to attract hummingbirds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have hanging baskets of petunia's the hummers love.

We have 5 different species of hummers here in Ma. I get the Green broad bill and some times a Ruby throated if its not run off by the broad bill hummer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In the very early spring the Virginia blue bells tell me when a hummer has finally made it for the season, they love darting in and out of the bells, it is then that I hang the first feeder. My hummers also love a honeysuckle vine that lumbers across my deck railing, producing 4 blooms a season. The other plant that the hummers adore is the bee balm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I readily recommend the Trumpet Vine and Hibiscus. These plants produce a high amount of very sweet nectar that keeps hummingbirds coming back. The wide variety of colors they come in would also add greatly to your garden. It would be real nice too if you put up that feeder using some sugar dissolved in plain water. Once they become aware of a regular feeding source your garden is sure to come alive with hummingbirds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Arthnel is absolutely right about having feeders available for hummingbirds. One part white cane sugar to four parts water, brought to a boil and then cooled, makes a syrup the little guys love! We have two feeders hanging near our patio, and regularly get "buzzed" by hummingbirds in the morning while we are having our coffee.
We have flowers that hummingbirds visit regularly, but they still like the feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I readily recommend the Trumpet Vine and Hibiscus. These plants produce a high amount of very sweet nectar that keeps hummingbirds coming back. The wide variety of colors they come in would also add greatly to your garden. It would be real nice too if you put up that feeder using some sugar dissolved in plain water. Once they become aware of a regular feeding source your garden is sure to come alive with hummingbirds.

With all due respect arthnel 'Trumpet vine' Does not belong in anyone's yard unless you own acres. Yes it will bring in the hummers, but the down side is it will take over your yard. Maybe not the first year or two, but it will eventually. If you plant it along a fence line, you can kiss that fence goodbye. If you plant it close to your house, be prepared to fix a multitude of structural problems. If you plant it near or in a flower bed, be prepared to pull many shoots til there is no tomorrow. There are plenty of non aggressive plants out there to bring the hummers in. The trick is to do your homework. Trumpet vine is not one of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With all due respect arthnel 'Trumpet vine' Does not belong in anyone's yard unless you own acres. Yes it will bring in the hummers, but the down side is it will take over your yard. Maybe not the first year or two, but it will eventually. If you plant it along a fence line, you can kiss that fence goodbye. If you plant it close to your house, be prepared to fix a multitude of structural problems. If you plant it near or in a flower bed, be prepared to pull many shoots til there is no tomorrow. There are plenty of non aggressive plants out there to bring the hummers in. The trick is to do your homework. Trumpet vine is not one of them.

I spent quite a while laughing in agreement to your response. You brought back my memories of trumpet vine before I understood them. Beautiful flowers but they do come with some pain when they start to run. I even stopped watering them but they didn't seem to mind as they just kept on growing. People who really like them tend to use them as high hedging to separate their yard from neighbors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
it is a learning lesson some gardeners go through when choosing any plant. I have chosen two plants in my 27 years that I regretted, had one totally pulled out after a few years. And the other I keep at bay with just general pulling to keep them smaller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it wasn't for the hummers I would get rid of my Trumpet Vine, it sends out runner all over my peony bed and its hard to get rid of the runners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I spent quite a while laughing in agreement to your response. You brought back my memories of trumpet vine before I understood them. Beautiful flowers but they do come with some pain when they start to run. I even stopped watering them but they didn't seem to mind as they just kept on growing. People who really like them tend to use them as high hedging to separate their yard from neighbors.

Thanks for not taking this the wrong way arthnel. Sometimes the written word no matter how you try to soften it still reads very harsh. Just so ya know I made the mistake of planting two about ten years back. The wifes foot print is a permanent feature on my backside, as I keep telling her to kick me for not listening to all the warnings from fellow gardeners. The hummers do love them tho! :geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I plant cuphea up hear. We just treat it as an annual, and boy do the hummers love it!

I never did exchange plants with that person in the plant swap group, but I now have a second cuphea that I brought home from work. I have only seen one humming bird (at work) since the temperature has started to cool off again, but there are butterflies galore!

Ask a Question