Attracting and Feeding Hummingbirds and Butterflies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There is so much information out there already, but at the request of @Trellum, I'm starting this new thread specifically to talk about feeders and plants for hummingbirds and butterflies. I'm in the process of organizing the nectar plants I've collected to make a little plot under my bedroom window to invite the friendly flutterers.

First things first - simple syrup. Simply take one cup of sugar (I like the raw stuff) and one cup of water, and dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat in a non-reactive pot. Personally, I think that's really sweet, so I use a different proportion of water. (Basil simple syrup is amazing!)

You could make a honeysuckle syrup by steeping a cup or so of blossoms in the syrup as it cools, but plain old sugar water is what most folks use.

Second, as for making your own feeders, you can use a 2 liter soda bottle. Paint the bottom red (the color attracts the birds) and make holes to allow the birds to drink.

Here are a couple links from Pinterest to get you started:

7ebaf030c77d5b9aa7507a102b23faaa.jpg

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/310818811753174110/

b4398546be01fb23e7e8bc7f43f94d51.jpg

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/94012710941613329/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We make our own syrup also, 1 c. of white sugar and 4 c. of water, bring to a boil and let cool. This keeps well in the fridge.
Since we are in a warm:rolleyes: climate, I change the feeder's syrup every two days if the temps are 95 or above, and every three or four days when we are in the 80's.
We have three glass feeders up, and take them down when we are sure the migration is over. Our hummers stay all summer after arriving in late March or early April, and haven't left yet.
You'll see honeybees and butterflies at the hummingbird feeders, but that isn't a bad thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for creating this thread, ChanellG!
Like you know, in my area there are no hummingbirds, probably because it's too cold for them here. But butterflies visit my garden everyday:) I'll definitely make sweet syrup to attract even more of those beautiful creatures.

Reaction score
A great plant for humming birds is the Garten Meister fuschia. It has long trumpet like orange blossoms that the hummingbirds really like. I had one for a while and we had a number of humming birds coming regularly to it. Sadly, out winter was so harsh last year that it died even thought it was right by the house and was cut back and buried really well. I mean to get another one next year though.

Reaction score
Thank you :) Glad you decided to do it! I love how you keep your post simple and nice, I really like how you organize the info :) Do you think the flower syrup can be done with roses as well? I'd love to try with simple syrup and a flower one, just to see which one they like most. I'll bookmark this (y)

Reaction score
A great plant for humming birds is the Garten Meister fuschia. It has long trumpet like orange blossoms that the hummingbirds really like. I had one for a while and we had a number of humming birds coming regularly to it. Sadly, out winter was so harsh last year that it died even thought it was right by the house and was cut back and buried really well. I mean to get another one next year though.

You mean one of these?

FuchsiaGartenmeisterBonstedt2006.jpg

My grandma had one of those and I must admit I did saw a lot hummingbirds over there. I was too little back then tho, so I really don't remember if all of them were always near that plant or her feeders as well. It's such a beautiful plant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you :) Glad you decided to do it! I love how you keep your post simple and nice, I really like how you organize the info :) Do you think the flower syrup can be done with roses as well? I'd love to try with simple syrup and a flower one, just to see which one they like most. I'll bookmark this (y)

Well, the thing about roses is that a) not all of them are fragrant or flavorful, and b) they are not nectar flowers visited by hummingbirds. I would stick to straight sugar and then maybe hang an additional feeder with something like a honeysuckle syrup. You don't want to go too far outside of what they would find naturally in the wild.

I wanted to keep it simple to start off, and then add more information as we "talked" more about the subject. Also, if a post is too long, people don't always want to take the time to read it.

@claudine, you might want to create a butterfly feeder like this one:

2b6a609a567b5dd4842eb3e2ab77008b.jpg

You just put some overripe food in a pan for them, with or without a syrup. Here's the link for the pin:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335844937387/

Reaction score
Well, the thing about roses is that a) not all of them are fragrant or flavorful, and b) they are not nectar flowers visited by hummingbirds. I would stick to straight sugar and then maybe hang an additional feeder with something like a honeysuckle syrup. You don't want to go too far outside of what they would find naturally in the wild.

I wanted to keep it simple to start off, and then add more information as we "talked" more about the subject. Also, if a post is too long, people don't always want to take the time to read it.

@claudine, you might want to create a butterfly feeder like this one:

2b6a609a567b5dd4842eb3e2ab77008b.jpg

You just put some overripe food in a pan for them, with or without a syrup. Here's the link for the pin:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335844937387/

Great info :) It's all about providing them with the things they'd naturally find in the wild :D I'll surely try it in the future :D As for the post lengths, you are right, no one likes long posts :) I personally find easier to read the short ones; the shorter the better (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here's something I found on Pinterest just now on what to plant to attract hummingbirds. The easiest thing is to find out from a local nursery what native plants in your area draw them to the garden, but if you are familiar with the plants here and have seen them nearby, at least it will give you a starting reference:

2_intro.jpg

Plant B is one of my absolute favorites! I happened upon it this year on CLEARANCE for $1 at Lowes! There were three plants in the pot, which desperately needed replanting. I separated them into three 12" pots and they are all doing great! If you can find bat face near you, it's the coolest little flower!

2b_250.jpg

I tell you, I am in love with this flower! The fact that it attract humming birds makes it that much more fabulous!

Here's the link to the source: http://www.gardengatenotes.com/2012/05/01/hummingbird-cafe/

Reaction score
Oh my, now that's what I call the perfect hummingbird cafe :love: Can you imagine how amazing it would be to get all those plants together in garden?! It'd look amazing! I bet that batface plant looks absolutely fabulous!!!! Once I get my own place I'll surely plants those as well as the butterfly weed ;) Thanks for sharing, what a beautiful assembly of flowers :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These plants look beautiful together! I'd love to have them in my garden. The fact that they attract hummingbirds makes me love them even more. I quite like the climate in my country, but sometimes I wish it was warmer here, so I could wear summer dresses all year long and watch hummingbirds flying around exotic flowers:)

Reaction score
Chanell
Do you live far enough south to get overwintering Rufous hummingbirds? If we get a mild winter ( definitely not like last year) we get them to stay and have hummers all year.

Reaction score
I'm also interested in attracting some hummingbirds to my garden. I'll definitely take advantage of some of the tips in this thread. I think they are just beautiful little creatures. Wish I saw more of them. I live in the South so I'm surprised I don't. Hopefully I'll be able to attract some when spring comes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell
Do you live far enough south to get overwintering Rufous hummingbirds? If we get a mild winter ( definitely not like last year) we get them to stay and have hummers all year.

I don't know. I have only ever seen hummingbirds here when it was warm, and though I can't say for certain, it was probably late summer or early fall. You would expect to see them in spring, but even the butterfly activity is higher at this time of year than spring. I do plan on looking into the subject further once I get the garden established though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm also interested in attracting some hummingbirds to my garden. I'll definitely take advantage of some of the tips in this thread. I think they are just beautiful little creatures. Wish I saw more of them. I live in the South so I'm surprised I don't. Hopefully I'll be able to attract some when spring comes.

I have only ever seen them here twice. Once in my own yard when I lived in mid city several years ago and once just recently just a few miles away from where I live now. I don't know how prolific they are in the area, but then I didn't see the monarch and swallowtail caterpillars and butterflies either until I grew the host plants.

Ask a Question