How can u tell if u are feeding your plant to much water or less?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is there anything I can buy that can tell me this??
You can buy a moisture meter but I have never found them to be all that accurate. Your index finger works very well and is a lot cheaper. Just stick your finger all the way into the soil, pull it out and blow on it. If it feels cooler when you blow on it the plant doesn't need watering at that time.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can buy a moisture meter but I have never found them to be all that accurate. Your index finger works very well and is a lot cheaper. Just stick your finger all the way into the soil, pull it out and blow on it. If it feels cooler when you blow on it the plant doesn't need watering at that time.
Wow thx for the tip! I will try this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are you talking about mainly indoor plants? I've always had good luck with indoor and outdoor container plants by only watering a: when the soil is dry to the point of being crunchy, or b: when the plant starts drooping a bit.

Then a good soaking as Chuck says. Getting a little stressed by not enough water temporarily won't hurt a plant and in some vegetables will increase production; commercial growers do this. However, over watering is much more lethal to plants generally and will kill them.

I've also never seen the point in moisture meters; stick your finger or a bamboo skewer or a twig or whatever into the soil. If the plant is in a container with a saucer underneath, wait until the saucer is dry before watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes indoors at the moment since we got snow in montreal canada :( Thanks for the tip!

I feel your pain - I'm in Michigan and it is snowing right now!

Just don't over water or water too often. That's what will kill plants for sure.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I feel your pain - I'm in Michigan and it is snowing right now!

Just don't over water or water too often. That's what will kill plants for sure.
we had snow yesterday :( today we got rain!! when will it end!!! I want summer hot days!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Try watering from below, not from above. Set the plant's pot in a tray of water, let it sit for an hour or two, and then remove it from the tray. The plant will take up the moisture it needs and be happy.
And we'd love to have you come to Texas!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Try watering from below, not from above. Set the plant's pot in a tray of water, let it sit for an hour or two, and then remove it from the tray. The plant will take up the moisture it needs and be happy.
And we'd love to have you come to Texas!
Thx for the tip I will do that from now on!! Aww thx likewise

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As Marlin said watering from the bottom is best. What you can do is fill up your sink or bathtub almost as deep as the container is tall. When you see water standing on the top of the soil in the pot it is saturated. Let the excess soil drain out of the container and in about a week check to see how dry the soil is as described in the previous posts. If it is dry do the same thing again, if not, wait a day or two. Being a little too dry is a LOT better than too wet

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It depends on the kind of plant in question. If its a succulent, you are probably not overwatering the plant. If its adapted for drier conditions, you are probably overwatering it. Plants with shallow roots need copious amounts of water. It also depends on the type of soil in question.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
When the leaves are withered, drawing down or yellow, it may be a result of excessive water. Your plants should have a good drainage system. In absence of drainage system you should control how much water you give to your plants. Indoor plants and potted plants need less water compared to the outdoor plants.

Ask a Question