Planting knock out roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have 7 gallon and a half size knock out roses to plant tomorrow and I went outside a few minutes ago just to see how hard it would be to dig the holes. Well it's much more difficult than I anticipated. I live in Georgia and we have very very hard clay and hard soil here. I tried to use post hole diggers and a pointed tip shovel and both were barely moving the dirt. Would a digging bar work? I had never heard of one until tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I have 7 gallon and a half size knock out roses to plant tomorrow and I went outside a few minutes ago just to see how hard it would be to dig the holes. Well it's much more difficult than I anticipated. I live in Georgia and we have very very hard clay and hard soil here. I tried to use post hole diggers and a pointed tip shovel and both were barely moving the dirt. Would a digging bar work? I had never heard of one until tonight.
At least you have soil even though it is hard. Here it is mostly rock and a digging bar is a must.

Reaction score
Country
United States
At least you have soil even though it is hard. Here it is mostly rock and a digging bar is a must.

My soul feels like concrete. At least the place I'm trying to put the roses. Gonna pick up a digging stick at Home Depot this afternoon and hope it does the trick!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My soul feels like concrete. At least the place I'm trying to put the roses. Gonna pick up a digging stick at Home Depot this afternoon and hope it does the trick!!
You probably know this already but before you plant your rose bush fill up the hole with water and if it doesn't completely drain in 24 hours find another place to plant.

Ask a Question