Plant ID please

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all

I recently obtained this plant from a market but forgot to ask what it is... does anyone know what the name of this plant is? (Photo attached)

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220208_143553.jpg
    20220208_143553.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
What an interesting specimen.

This looks very much like a rooted stem of Pencil Spurge (Euphorbia tirucalli), but there are other species of Euphorbia that look similar,
and there are also Pencil Milkweeds (Cynanchum spp.) that look similar. Furthermore, some Mistletoe Cactus, such as Rhipsalis baccifera can sometimes look like this, though usually they branch more... Flowers would be very helpful for identification.
Could you take several, sharp, macro shots of the stem, especially where it branches or has buds.

Another very odd thing about your plant is the thread-like structures coming off the stems. These are either aerial roots or dried-up aborted stems. The whole plant looks a little desiccated and worn, so perhaps some smaller stems have dried up.
Please take a macro photograph of one of these thin roots or stems too.

Note, even though Euphorbia and Cynanchum are in different families, Euphorbiaceae and Apocynaceae, respectively, both genera will exude toxic, milky latex if a stem is broken. If you get any of the latex on your skin be sure to wash it off right away as it can also be caustic.

Actually, a succulent is a good choice for growing in yarn & moss balls (kokedama) since the balls often dry out quickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Marck. Thanks again for a quick reply. I think those thread like structures may be new roots, as after I watered the plant the threads started to grow in earnest. Here are some other pictures of the plant as requested

Attachments

• 20220208_152200.jpg
    20220208_152200.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220208_152146.jpg
    20220208_152146.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220208_152144.jpg
    20220208_152144.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Marck. Thanks again for a quick reply. I think those thread like structures may be new roots, as after I watered the plant the threads started to grow in earnest. Here are some other pictures of the plant as requested
No flowers that I have seen so far (have had this plant for about 4 weeks). Also there are some very tiny drops of clear sap forming along some of the branch points although I have not yet cut the plant so cannot confirm whether the sap inside is milky or not

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a very curious plant. I am not completely certain what it is. That green color is unusual for aerial roots, though it is certainly possible. Most of the plants I mentioned earlier do not usually have aerial roots, especially ones like these, so it might be something else entirely.
Good luck growing this fascinating specimen, and if it does flower, please do post another picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks like a ball of twine with a part of the Fire stick plant (Euphorbia Tirucalli ) stuck into it. Looking closely at the plant stems, they seem to be dehydrating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Pencil Spurge (Euphorbia tirucalli) was my first thought, and that may be the correct identity. The stems and branching do look very similar However, I've never seen any Euphorbia tirucalli, where the stems dry down to long slender green threads, and if those thread-like structures are aerial roots, that isn't typical for E. tirucalli either.

@Larisa What do you think this plant might be? If it is Euphorbia tirucalli, what are those branching green threads?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I reasoned the same way as you.
I doubt Euphorbia tirucalli...
I was thinking about Cynanchum (Sarcostemma viminale).
But these aerial roots lead me to Rhipsalis...
I'm not sure about the specific species, there are several large and similar ones. A young plant with one branch may look similar.

I think it's better to wait for flowering.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was searching on the internet and I think it might be this mistletoe cactus! I will post pictures if it flowers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-173208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-173208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
I found a few photos and references to Rhipsalis having aerial roots.
However, I haven't seen any as long or as abundant as the ones on your plant.
Aerial roots are more likely to form in very humid conditions, so perhaps the plant was grown in a very humid greenhouse.
The green color on the aerial roots might be from algae that would also thrive with warmth and humidity.
I hope your plant flowers, it will be interesting to see what the flowers look like.

Ask a Question