Please help an unintentional plant killer out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me out :)

I absolutely love house plants, but unfortunately they just do not love me :cry:

The only plant that seems to be thriving in my care is my gorgeous little prayer plant.

The plant I am going to ask you about today is my lovely curly spider plant, or at least it used to be lovely. It seems that every day I spot another leaf that’s turning a yellow-pale colour, then the leaf will turn brown and shrivel up.

I just don’t know what I am doing wrong. I water all of my plants when the top couple of cm of soil is feeling dry, and this particular plant is in a south facing kitchen, but in an area where it does not get direct sunlight. It must be said that the kitchen does feel a bit gloomy this time of year, but so does my whole house.

Please can you help me take better care of my plants so that they will love me back.

I’m worried that this spider plant is past saving, but if it dies I would really like another one, and I really don’t want to kill that one too.

Attachments

• 4CD56236-3E9D-478E-9DB4-14A518DBB5CA.jpeg
    4CD56236-3E9D-478E-9DB4-14A518DBB5CA.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 28
  • E2F1BF67-F21D-49B3-9F80-7FB3796B6BB6.jpeg
    E2F1BF67-F21D-49B3-9F80-7FB3796B6BB6.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 81D0F703-701A-43AF-92DD-AF396FB7D7BE.jpeg
    81D0F703-701A-43AF-92DD-AF396FB7D7BE.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Chlorophytum comosum, often called spider plant, is a very unpretentious plant.
Shedding the lower leaves is normal.
I grow the same Chlorophytum.
I used to think that Chlorophytum can grow in all conditions. And I put it on the top drawer of the kitchen too. Then I noticed problems similar to yours. I thought that Chlorophytum might need more light in the winter and more fresh air. I have a small kitchen and I cook there almost every day.
And I have central heating, it's hot.
I cannot put Chlorophytum on the window, I have no room because of other more capricious plants.

So I moved Chlorophytum to the room and now it grows on a shelf near the window, among other unpretentious plants. This change in microclimate has a very beneficial effect on Chlorophytum. All leaf problems have disappeared and the plant is doing well.

Ask a Question