Pink Cordyline

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious if anyone has a any pics of this plant. I want to see how big it can grow in the right conditions. How fast? Also what it looks like when it's fully grown.
Here is a picture of mine.
20151023_154414.jpg
20151023_154414.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Orion!

You have a lovely looking garden (y) I've not grown Pink Cordyline myself but hopefully someone here will be able to help you out.

Reaction score
I have never grown it, but where I like they use this plant very often as an ''accent'' plant to decorate certain areas outdoors, I've seen it outside a lot buildings. I've seen it and isn't so big, it reminds me of a little bush :) We are talking about this one, right:

97-310112065944.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Cordyline is a genus of monocot shrubs & trees, in the Lomandra family (Lomandraceae). Many cultivars with unusually coloured and variegated foliage have been bred and selected for ornament. The correct pronunciation of Cordyline involves four syllables, with the final 'e' being pronounced as a long vowel.

The photo submitted by the OP shows a black and red-leaved form of Ti Plant (Cordyline fruticosa, formerly C. terminalis) in the far corner of the front bed. This may be the cultivar known as C. fruticosa 'Florida Red'. Cordyline fruticosa is native to parts of Queensland, New Guinea and Melanesia, but cultivars are grown worldwide in warm regions for the spectacular foliage. There are many photos online.

The photo in the third post shows a pink-leaved cultivar of Cordyline australis (or a hybrid), native to New Zealand. Cordyline australis is another very popular species in horticulture, due to its often arborescent stature, hardiness in temperate climes, and striking foliage.
The plant pictured may be the very popular cultivar Cordyline x 'Sprilecpink', though there are other similar cultivars with pink and red leaves. Cordyline x 'Sprilecpink' is purported to be a hybrid of C. australis and C. banksii, and is commonly sold under the trade name of Cordyline Electric Pink™, Plant Patent #19213.

Pictured below is another partially pink-leaved cultivar: Cordyline sellowiana 'Pink Joy' (species synonyms: C. brasiliensis, C. glauca).
The species is native to tropical South America, but this cultivar is now grown worldwide, and has also received a Plant Patent #19959.
Despite it's tropical origins, I grow it very well outdoors in-ground in my USDA Zone 9b garden.

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Being that the one in the picture is C. fruticosa, it will get to be 8' or so given time. They are not extremely fast growers. You might be a little cool in the winter for it to be real happy. Protect it when temps get below 32.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know some Cordyline fruticosa that take light frosts (high 20ºs F) most Winters and have done fine. I don't know the cultivar. They are planted in-ground sited under partial tree cover.

Ask a Question