Philodendron verrucosum shrivelled stem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I’m hoping someone can help me out with my philodendron verrucosum. I’ve had this plant for a while. However, over the past month I have come into some trouble with it.

I noticed the leaves drooping, which is normally a sign of needing water for this plant. So I watered it then I realised after a day or two the leaves just got worse. I repotted and checked out the roots and I didn’t see anything crazy, there wasn’t many dead roots, I just pulled off any weak roots which wasn’t many at all. Then I repotted and now I’m here. The stem has now shrivelled which suggests the plant isn’t getting the moisture into the stem. So I’m a little stuck on what to do? All the leaves on that stem have shrivelled up, I kinda left it after repotting thinking my interference has upset it even more! But now we are at the point I think I need to do something else! Pleaseeeeee help! What would you guys do?

Many thanks (thank you for reading that if you did, that was long!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

A photo of the plant and its damage would be helpful. Philodendron verrucosum can be a challenging plant to grow, needing humidity, warmth, bright light and excellent drainage. Is the whole plant declining or only one stem. It seems like some vascular rot or other damage has caused a stem to be incapable of taking in water. It would be advisable to cut off any withering tissue, in case there is a pathogen that could spread to other parts of the plant. If any part of the cut material seems healthy you could try rooting it separately, though success is hardly assured.

Philodendron verrucosum is an Aroid (Araceae) native to southern Central America and northern South America. It is a popular plant among Aroid fanciers, due to its finely patterned and textured leaves. A number of subtle cultivars have been selected, differing in the color, texture, and shape of the leaves.

Ask a Question