Perrenial vegetable gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I'll grow asparagus in a container too. Do you think it will grow indoors during winter? It's quite warm at my home.
Dhrynio, I love asparagus too, it's so delicious! I prefer it cooked, with some butter:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I think it's possible, but you might have to experiment with it to find the best way to grow it indoors. I haven't read that much about it because I don't plant to try growing it right away.

BTW, I usually just steam my asparagus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well, I think I'll try anyway:) . It's one of my favourite vegetables to eat:D . But I like only green asparagus. White one in my opinion isn't too tasty.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That artichoke looks gorgeous. I would grow it just for the look, I don't like artichokes as something to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Pineapple! Here in the Philippines, the Cagayan De Oro pineapple is to die for. The fruit itself will grow to about the size of your palm and the flesh ranges from golden-to deep yellow. Sweet without being sugary and not a sour bite in the bunch-- these are the pineapples I want to grow in our yard. Thanks for the tip, Zigs, I didn't know the tops had to be stripped of a few leaves first before planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Pineapple! Here in the Philippines, the Cagayan De Oro pineapple is to die for. The fruit itself will grow to about the size of your palm and the flesh ranges from golden-to deep yellow. Sweet without being sugary and not a sour bite in the bunch-- these are the pineapples I want to grow in our yard. Thanks for the tip, Zigs, I didn't know the tops had to be stripped of a few leaves first before planting.

I have a pineapple top sitting in water now waiting for roots to appear. I'm hoping I trimmed away enough of the fruit flesh, and I change the water periodically, but I don't recall seeing anything about removing leaves. Can't wait to have my own home grown pineapples to eat!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You don't need the fruit bit at all Chanell, it's the leaves at the top, strip away the bottom ones till you see the little rootlets ready to pounce.

In nature the fruit drops off, rots and then forms a nutrient base for the new plant to grow in :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You don't need the fruit bit at all Chanell, it's the leaves at the top, strip away the bottom ones till you see the little rootlets ready to pounce.

In nature the fruit drops off, rots and then forms a nutrient base for the new plant to grow in :)

Like onions and some other things. I did strip some of the leaves after you said that, guess I need to go and strip away a few more. Need to get a pot ready for it, though I've been tempted to just go ahead and put it in dirt now. My dad has grown a few, and my mom started some last year.

Ask a Question