Perrenial vegetable gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah, okay. I don't think cross pollination with other carrot varieties will be a problem for me since I live in the city. The nearest urban farm is a few miles away, though I suppose I should check and see what they are growing.

I'm guessing that sunflower head you're holding up in your profile photo is from your own garden?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its worth a go, you won't know unless you try.

Thats my Boy holding it up:D It was, but there were no others nearby so the seeds didn't get polinated, they were all hollow.

It was pretty though.
003-17.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I've done some reading and as long as there aren't any wild carrots nearby I should be okay. I actually plan on growing the carrot flowers indoors so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll more than likely grow the first carrots indoors as well. I was thinking of using a clear container so I can actually watch the growth.

That's too bad about your sunflower. I've never grown them, but they were cropping up all over town after Katrina and a few came up in my back yard.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That'll be cool, cover the container in black paper when you're not looking at the roots though, as they'll go green if the light hits them.

We have good & bad years for Sunflowers over here, sometimes they'll get to 12-14 foot high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, that's tall! Thanks for the tip about the carrots. I'm having so much fun with growing food from scraps I'm not sure when I'll get around to the perennial stuff, lol.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My pleasure Chanell.

Have I mentioned about putting a cross cut in a Cabbage Stalk after you've cut the main Cabbage head?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The stump thats left in the ground usually produces 4 Collard greens if you cross cut it, spring greens in other words, non hearting cabbages that you just boil up for greens when there is little else about.

Mind you, thats what we do in the cold north, bet you've got much more green stuff than we have in the winter:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cabbage is definitely on my list of things to try. I'm not sure how delicate it is, or what is involved with growing and harvesting it. I usually don't have to cover the outdoor plants for more than a few days at a time in winter, but I have been thinking of experimenting with different kinds of raised bed style containers. I also saw in one of those regrowing food from scraps articles that you could regrow cabbage.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cabbage is easy enough providing you do a few basic things, put collars round the stems to stop root fly and net them against pigeons and cabbage white butterflys. Soil needs a good amount of organic material in it & keep well watered in the summer:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been seeing cabbage regrowth info on blogs and in articles on regrowing food from scraps. People in the city who don't have the outdoor acreage are apparently regrowing cabbage on the windowsill from the bottoms of cabbage heads. I plan on giving that a try at some point.

I have also seen some info about growing it outdoors in the ground. At least one person claims to get better results without the cross cutting in the top of the stalk, but I guess different conditions contribute to different results.

Thanks for all the tips! Someone I know just planted cabbage outdoors, and I know they aren't using collars or netting. My saying anything won't change that so it will be interesting to see how things go.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They'll be ok over winter with regards to the butterflys, I tend to just grow winter cabbages, Purple Sprouting Brocolli & Kale, they've normally finished by the time the catterpillars come back in early summer.

Pigeons are a different kettle of fish though, they can destroy them in a few minutes.

Just thought of something you could grow, a Pineapple.

Take the top of one, peel off the leaves starting at the bottom, till you see the squashed up white roots. Plant that in a pot & when its ready it'll put out a long snork & grow a new Pineapple off of that:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been itching to get my hands on a fresh pineapple and start a new plant, lol. I tried once before, but I think I waited too long before putting it in soil. I am better prepared this time around.

My dad had two pineapple plants in the backyard for a while. I love to eat fresh pineapple so it's definitely on my list. I just need to get a large enough container for the plant to live in. This gardening stuff is tough on the budget, lol.

I know it will be worth it in the long run, but I am trying to pace myself and not take on more than I can manage.

Reaction score
I would love to have space to grow asparagus!! It is one of my favorite vegetables! Grilled with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper is to die for!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Dhrynio, you could always plant asparagus in a container. I have some wooden wine boxes I am thinking of using for that purpose. You just have to get creative with the space you do have. If you only have room for a shoebox, plant three and find a way to elevate them so you can grow laterally.

Ask a Question