Peanuts have taken off!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hope to grow peanuts some time.

Its very easy!

That sounds great, to be honest you sound to be so busy with your garden, more busy than I ever will with those peanuts alone. I only wish I had that much space to work with :( I hope you guys get some rains soon, I hate to be teased like that, but after it rains... do you guys feel like you are in a sauna? Here that happens!

I wish I were so busy with my garden. I spent have my garden time on Saturday pulling weeds! It rained Sunday afternoon, then again practically all night, then again Monday morning. And yes, it feels like a sauna. It's overcast now with more rain in the forecast for later today.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is always fresh peanuts in the market here and I regularly buy because I love boiled peanuts - but only that boiled at home, I rarely buy boiled peanut peddled in the street because I do not know if the water used was clean. Anyway, once in a while my husband would get some raw peanuts and plant them in the backyard. We would be harvesting just a few glassful of peanuts and boil it. But the real purpose of planting those peanuts was not the harvest but the nitrogen that its roots would give to the soil. In other words, peanuts make the soil healthy.
I should try peanuts ! I like nitrogen fixing and companion plants.

Reaction score
I wish I were so busy with my garden. I spent have my garden time on Saturday pulling weeds! It rained Sunday afternoon, then again practically all night, then again Monday morning. And yes, it feels like a sauna. It's overcast now with more rain in the forecast for later today.

Damn!! That sounds awful, last day hasn't been so rainy over here (luckily), but the days prior to that were hell. I hope you guys don't have to deal with that the whole summer, that would be just terrible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I should try peanuts ! I like nitrogen fixing and companion plants.
Whenever my husband would notice that some plants are not looking good, he would get some soil from a small bed where he used to plant peanuts. It is like a fertilzer of sorts that would rejuvenate the plants. But for best results, you plant what you want right there on that peanut bed which is full of healthy nitrogen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Damn!! That sounds awful, last day hasn't been so rainy over here (luckily), but the days prior to that were hell. I hope you guys don't have to deal with that the whole summer, that would be just terrible!

Well, summer is almost over - thankfully! It has rained a bit just about every afternoon or evening this week. We are all looking forward to drier air and less humidity.

Whenever my husband would notice that some plants are not looking good, he would get some soil from a small bed where he used to plant peanuts. It is like a fertilzer of sorts that would rejuvenate the plants. But for best results, you plant what you want right there on that peanut bed which is full of healthy nitrogen.

That's interesting. I have been trying to remember what I read about the soil used for peanuts as sometimes you are not supposed to plant certain crops behind others.

Ask a Question