Dwarf Marigold Flower tops being taken off the plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
HELP!
Hello Everyone,
I'm so happy forum like this exist for beginners, such as myself, I have recently planted two dwarf cherry trees and decided to plant some annual dwarf marigolds to brighten up my garden. First, I live in Brooklyn and the gardens are small and on both sides of my front door and both have the same setup of juniper ground cover, a dwarf cherry tree, six dwarf marigold (yellow, orange, and a mixed one with orange and red), and 4 salvia plants (red). Before this landscape change we had two large evergreen foundation bushes along with the juniper ground cover. Now onto the problem, something is taking the tops off of my marigolds but leaving the leaves intact. So they're not eating the flower tops but simply taking them off and there is no visible sign of damage to the rest of the plant. The problem started only about two days after planting the marigolds and strangely only happening on our right hand side garden because the other side is as beautiful as when we planted them. I know its not a slug problem because we dug up all of the dirt to plant the tree and there was no sign of insects. So I assumed it was maybe the plants although they were in excellent health when I bought them, but I went ahead and bought some more and planted them. Another two days later, the tops of the marigold plants were taken off again and left nearby. If someone can help me with this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. [/b]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm. Based on where you live, probably not wildlife. And slugs would eat the leaves before the flowers.

Are there children living to your right? Based on what you've written I'd suspect human pests. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Marigold flowers are edible & I've seen starlings snap off the heads and fly up to their nests with them.
Is it quite dry where you live? Do birds have access to water?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!! :)

Cast another vote for human pests! (Anyone else remember - :eek: "Mama had a baby and its head popped off!!" ...?) We only did it with dandelions, but if there's a lack of those, kids will be kids!

headfullofbees, s/he said the tops are being left nearby, so whatever it is is not eating them. Access to water - the Brooklyn Bridge goes over the East river, so that's probably not a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marigold flowers are edible & I've seen starlings snap off the heads and fly up to their nests with them.
Is it quite dry where you live? Do birds have access to water?
I suspected blackbirds as well as there are several in my area, perhaps a cat even. I'm not sure perhaps it would be easier just to try my luck and plant another kind of plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!! :)

Cast another vote for human pests! (Anyone else remember - :eek: "Mama had a baby and its head popped off!!" ...?) We only did it with dandelions, but if there's a lack of those, kids will be kids!

headfullofbees, s/he said the tops are being left nearby, so whatever it is is not eating them. Access to water - the Brooklyn Bridge goes over the East river, so that's probably not a problem.

No kids nearby, and its a decent neighborhood and there are always people watching as it is summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We also have crows in our area, do you guys think Zinnias would pose the same problem? My husband says it doesn't matter what I plant because, something probably lived or used the bush we had before as a toilet. So it may be coming at night or early in the morning.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But they are leaving the tops?

Birds are notoriously curious...hmm... but why would they only pick on the right side, and leave the other side alone... Weird.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perplexing, these are exactly my thoughts. That's why my husband says its probably a critters home. He said possible a squirrels or a cat because from my observation it happens overnight or early morning. Maybe there bothered by the scent or color haha, but without a camera one will never know.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Perplexing, these are exactly my thoughts. That's why my husband says its probably a critters home. He said possible a squirrels or a cat because from my observation it happens overnight or early morning. Maybe there bothered by the scent or color haha, but without a camera one will never know.
Squirrels usually nest in trees...I can see it being an ornery cat, though!

Have you checked the dirt around it for little holes/tunnels?? May be a chipmunk...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I have no holes. I didn't think it was a squirrel because I didn't see any holes being digged up for nuts. When we first moved here there was a squirrel that would store there nuts under the juniper rug, but there were holes all over.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By the way, I love your cat pic so adorable:-D
:D That's Little Man!! He is a cat of many hats. (And to think, I used to make fun of people dressing up their dogs...:rolleyes: ) He's just SO patient about the indignity; I have never seen a cat with so much "Who gives a crap" attitude!!

Don't get too attached to the pic, though. I have 7.5 cats, and I've already decided to have a rotating avatar, so they'll all get their 15 minutes of fame. ;)

Unless I can get one of the others to wear the Santa hat, he'll be back in December. And I've already decided he'll be my Easter pic, because the bunny ears are TOO adorable. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Really, he brings it on himself. It's almost like he's posing. I love that Fluff-muffin!! :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:D That's Little Man!! He is a cat of many hats. (And to think, I used to make fun of people dressing up their dogs...:rolleyes: ) He's just SO patient about the indignity; I have never seen a cat with so much "Who gives a crap" attitude!!

Don't get too attached to the pic, though. I have 7.5 cats, and I've already decided to have a rotating avatar, so they'll all get their 15 minutes of fame. ;)

Unless I can get one of the others to wear the Santa hat, he'll be back in December. And I've already decided he'll be my Easter pic, because the bunny ears are TOO adorable. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Really, he brings it on himself. It's almost like he's posing. I love that Fluff-muffin!! :love:
Looking forward to seeing your array of cats, love Little Man but I'm sure they are all just as cute. I am a cat person and have a new little one called Polly plus the 2 gray males plus an old Border Collie called Max which my son left us with when he and his wife moved to Malaysia. All great pets....just means a pretty house:rolleyes:

Ask a Question