Have you ever taken a gardening course?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
There is a free online course offered by the University of Oregon online:
https://pace.oregonstate.edu/catalog/master-gardener-online-short-course-series
The basic class is free but other classes are only $20.00. They are designed for both the professional and the hobbyist. One of the things it mentioned is 'plant pathology' which is the study of environmental conditions and how they affect the growth of plants and vegetables. I am thinking of taking the free one to start with. Have you ever taken a gardening course before?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
cI have never taken a course in gardening, I have read tons and tons o books on plant care and gardening. It would be nice to get a more formal education on the care of plants. My interest at this time lean more in the direction of design for the landscape and garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm going to check this out, thanks! I've always gardened intuitively, though I've spent plenty of time reading books and articles over the decades... I've never taken any courses, but lately I have been thinking of signing up for the Master Gardener program. There is always more to be learned, and I'm looking to expand my gardener vocabulary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never taken a course like this. It sounds really interesting! I'll definitely check it out. Learning new things about gardening is one of my favorite things to do:) I need to gain some knowledge about container gardening since I don't have a garden anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I've never taken a course like this. It sounds really interesting! I'll definitely check it out. Learning new things about gardening is one of my favorite things to do:) I need to gain some knowledge about container gardening since I don't have a garden anymore.

I remember you were in the middle of a move awhile back because we were too. I'm glad to report our plants have all done very well. There was one Orchid that was blooming and now is not, either because of shock or over watering, but other than that one all the others seem to be thriving. What surprised me the most was our strawberries. I thought they would have done better in the cooler climate we came from but they are doing much better in the hot humid climate we moved to. Anyways, all the best in learning how to container garden - we are currently doing it right now and we even have two trees we are growing so it doesn't mean you are stuck with a small garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember you were in the middle of a move awhile back because we were too. I'm glad to report our plants have all done very well. There was one Orchid that was blooming and now is not, either because of shock or over watering, but other than that one all the others seem to be thriving. What surprised me the most was our strawberries. I thought they would have done better in the cooler climate we came from but they are doing much better in the hot humid climate we moved to. Anyways, all the best in learning how to container garden - we are currently doing it right now and we even have two trees we are growing so it doesn't mean you are stuck with a small garden!
I'm very happy to hear it!:) Don't worry about your orchid. I hope it will bloom again when it gets used to the new place:)
My miniature roses are still at my parents', but I plan to bring them to my new apartment as soon as I can. Currently, I grow an orchid, a lot of hyacinths and sprouts. I'd love to have a tree in a container!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would love to take the certified naturalist course the TN parks folks do, but it is $250 each (wife wanted to go, also) and out of my fixed income budget. I even offered to barter labor for them.

One day, maybe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dave, we took the Texas Master Naturalist course and were certified. It cost nothing except time and gas money to get to the training site. We found most of the sessions valuable--I specialized in native plants, my husband in wildlife. We've taken our training one step further by applying what we learned here on our little farm (you wouldn't believe the critters we have running all over and using the native plants for food, shelter and partying!).
Five hundred dollars is pretty steep! Texas Parks and Wildlife provided most of the venues and some of the instructors for free (got their money's worth in free labor later). Look around and see of there is a Tennessee Master Naturalist chapter near you, and what they charge if anything.
Good luck, and I hope you can find something that fits your requirements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Dave, we took the Texas Master Naturalist course and were certified. It cost nothing except time and gas money to get to the training site. We found most of the sessions valuable--I specialized in native plants, my husband in wildlife. We've taken our training one step further by applying what we learned here on our little farm (you wouldn't believe the critters we have running all over and using the native plants for food, shelter and partying!).
Five hundred dollars is pretty steep! Texas Parks and Wildlife provided most of the venues and some of the instructors for free (got their money's worth in free labor later). Look around and see of there is a Tennessee Master Naturalist chapter near you, and what they charge if anything.
Good luck, and I hope you can find something that fits your requirements.

It sounds like you're going to have alot of interesting things to share on this forum! That is so cool you have your own little farm. Thanks for the information about the classes too. I wonder if there are any classes like that in my local area? I never even thought of looking into going somewhere locally. We look forward to seeing some photos of your gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes! I am H.C. Heartland. But I am waiting for an email it says my registration is not yet complete but I am not seeing where I need to fill out the next two things. Did you subscribe right away to one of the glasses with the green bubble?

Their registration portal needs a little work as it is a little difficult to navigate.

I started reading the reference material and it's going to be a lot of learning here. I've printed off some of the pages with glossaries and other information that needs memorizing. Not some quick route to knowledge. Should be a nice little challenge.

How about we keep each other propped up during this learning adventure? If you get ahead of me, I won't be upset, just encouraged!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
My yard was pretty much a disaster. The price on getting into shape was more than I was interested in paying so I decided to give it a try myself. Based on that decision I decided to take a class “Introduction to Ornamental Horticulture” at a local Community (or Junior) College. A couple of years and 7-8 Ornamental Horticulture classes later, the yard is still somewhat unsightly, but to a keen eye now there are some interesting and attractive things going on.

Ask a Question