Peanuts have taken off!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Last year I grew peanuts quite by accident. I had raw ones from the farmer's market that I didn't know what to do with, that I thought were old so I tossed them into the compost. One day I found a mysterious plant in the compost bin that turned out to be a peanut plant.

I potted it up and started my new adventure. Long story short, I harvested about 1 dozen peanuts. Lord only knows where I put them, so this year someone else gave me a handful to try, which I soaked and easily sprouted. (I soaked most and planted some. Only the soaked ones germinated and they did so right away.)

I put them all in little flower pots until I could do something else and the plants have taken off and have already started to flower. I transplanted about half and have to hurry and get at the other half. This year I wanted to be sure to have large enough containers to give the peanuts more under soil space.

If you're looking for something easy to grow, I highly recommend peanuts!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Growing peanuts does sound like fun and easy. I must look into growing peanuts, where to find raw peanuts and how large of a container I would need to give the peanuts room to grow. Thanks for sharing, I would never have thought of growing peanuts as much as I love to eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Growing peanuts does sound like fun and easy. I must look into growing peanuts, where to find raw peanuts and how large of a container I would need to give the peanuts room to grow. Thanks for sharing, I would never have thought of growing peanuts as much as I love to eat them.

I'm not sure about local sources, but I know you can order raw peanuts. Some people get them for feeding birds or other animals. My friend's neighbor feeds them to the squirrels (which drives her nuts) and they bury the peanuts all around her yard, lol. She has volunteer plants popping up all over the place.

Reaction score
In the past my peanuts have all failed, which is a shame because they are such an ODD plant! But, then, it has never occurred to me to soak them before I planted them!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds like a fun and interesting thing to grown! I shall try to grow peanuts as I love watching things growing, and this would be fantastic to eat too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is always fresh peanuts in the market here and I regularly buy because I love boiled peanuts - but only that boiled at home, I rarely buy boiled peanut peddled in the street because I do not know if the water used was clean. Anyway, once in a while my husband would get some raw peanuts and plant them in the backyard. We would be harvesting just a few glassful of peanuts and boil it. But the real purpose of planting those peanuts was not the harvest but the nitrogen that its roots would give to the soil. In other words, peanuts make the soil healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You are way cool! - so innovative. I posted a pic of my laundry basket potatoes (as an aside} in my gh post and those little beauties are thanks to you- bon apetit!

Reaction score
Nice, I had no idea peanuts were so easy to grow! I'm not sure I'd ever want to grow them myself though, because I'm not even a big fan of peanuts, but it's good to know this is one of those plants my niece could grow. I really want to teach her more about gardening, and hopefully she will love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Last year I grew peanuts quite by accident. I had raw ones from the farmer's market that I didn't know what to do with, that I thought were old so I tossed them into the compost. One day I found a mysterious plant in the compost bin that turned out to be a peanut plant.

I potted it up and started my new adventure. Long story short, I harvested about 1 dozen peanuts. Lord only knows where I put them, so this year someone else gave me a handful to try, which I soaked and easily sprouted. (I soaked most and planted some. Only the soaked ones germinated and they did so right away.)

I put them all in little flower pots until I could do something else and the plants have taken off and have already started to flower. I transplanted about half and have to hurry and get at the other half. This year I wanted to be sure to have large enough containers to give the peanuts more under soil space.

If you're looking for something easy to grow, I highly recommend peanuts!
I found a source here in Ontario for Valencia peanuts. I have bookmarked the page because it is too late to start this year but that bookmark will be there waiting for me in the early spring!
thanks again
Lori
here's the potatoes you inspired me to grow in a laundry basket, next it's peanuts!

Attachments

• 20150718_143106.jpg
    20150718_143106.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I found a source here in Ontario for Valencia peanuts. I have bookmarked the page because it is too late to start this year but that bookmark will be there waiting for me in the early spring!
thanks again
Lori
here's the potatoes you inspired me to grow in a laundry basket, next it's peanuts!

Nice! I just got a new phone so I'll try and take a picture of the peanuts this weekend and post it. I was too late to start potatoes this pas spring, but I still have two that seem viable so I'll try planting them next month after the heat (hopefully) starts to die down a bit. I've been so busy with the new job, and when I get in too tired to do much that the garden is on it's way back to being just herbs and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In the past my peanuts have all failed, which is a shame because they are such an ODD plant! But, then, it has never occurred to me to soak them before I planted them!

Thanks!

Soaking helped mine to sprout, but it's also important to mound up some dirt around them after they flower. I thought I did a good enough job of this and then after the rain I found the little "branch" hanging down from the plant and all the soil kind of leveled off. Have to hurry and get that situation fixed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice, I had no idea peanuts were so easy to grow! I'm not sure I'd ever want to grow them myself though, because I'm not even a big fan of peanuts, but it's good to know this is one of those plants my niece could grow. I really want to teach her more about gardening, and hopefully she will love it.

I am a fan of anything I can get to live and produce "fruit," lol. My grandfather loves them and he gets a kick out of me growing things he grew up with in the country. Hopefully, I'll finally get the sweet potatoes going in the fall.

I like peanuts well enough, but I'll probably only get about a dozen per plant. Not even enough to make a jar of peanut butter, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There is always fresh peanuts in the market here and I regularly buy because I love boiled peanuts - but only that boiled at home, I rarely buy boiled peanut peddled in the street because I do not know if the water used was clean. Anyway, once in a while my husband would get some raw peanuts and plant them in the backyard. We would be harvesting just a few glassful of peanuts and boil it. But the real purpose of planting those peanuts was not the harvest but the nitrogen that its roots would give to the soil. In other words, peanuts make the soil healthy.

I have thought of growing things in large containers just because of what they do for the soil so that I can then use that soil in my garden. There is only so much growing space available to me though, and I already have my hands full. I didn't expect for all of the peanuts I soaked to sprout, let alone to do so as quickly as they did. I had to hurry to put them into containers and I am still transplanting them.

Reaction score
I am a fan of anything I can get to live and produce "fruit," lol. My grandfather loves them and he gets a kick out of me growing things he grew up with in the country. Hopefully, I'll finally get the sweet potatoes going in the fall.

I like peanuts well enough, but I'll probably only get about a dozen per plant. Not even enough to make a jar of peanut butter, lol.

Awww!! But maybe next year you can plant even more? I have yet to try homemade peanut butter, but I have heard it's completely and absolutely delicious! There is a machine for that in our local super market, where you can make your own peanut butter there, we haven't tried. it looks fun!

Ask a Question