Pavement ants in paver bricks

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may not be the correct venue for this question, but here goes... We have an ongoing issue with pavement ants under our pavers- patio as well as driveway- their anthills mean that they are undermining the pavement, which will eventually settle. Here's what does NOT work- Terro and HotShot ant baits, boric acid/cornmeal, boric acid/sugar, boric acid/margarine (or butter), vinegar poured into the holes. I do realize that killing the ants that are visible has no effect on the colony; successful eradication calls for bait that is taken to the queen(s) in the nest.

Interested to know if anyone here has waged a winning battle against these pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This may not be the correct venue for this question, but here goes... We have an ongoing issue with pavement ants under our pavers- patio as well as driveway- their anthills mean that they are undermining the pavement, which will eventually settle. Here's what does NOT work- Terro and HotShot ant baits, boric acid/cornmeal, boric acid/sugar, boric acid/margarine (or butter), vinegar poured into the holes. I do realize that killing the ants that are visible has no effect on the colony; successful eradication calls for bait that is taken to the queen(s) in the nest.

Interested to know if anyone here has waged a winning battle against these pests.
Not these particular species of ant that I know of, but, I have dealt with several different species of underground colonies many times and have found that a spinosad based insecticide works extremely well. Spinosad is derived from a soil bacteria and when used as a soil drench it will wipe out a colony of ants within 2 days of application. You mix 2 oz with a gallon of water and pour it where it will soak into the soil. It is also harmless to people and pets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not these particular species of ant that I know of, but, I have dealt with several different species of underground colonies many times and have found that a spinosad based insecticide works extremely well. Spinosad is derived from a soil bacteria and when used as a soil drench it will wipe out a colony of ants within 2 days of application. You mix 2 oz with a gallon of water and pour it where it will soak into the soil. It is also harmless to people and pets.
Thanks for posting. Haven't run across this product before. Not sure how to get it into the substrate (under the paver bricks), but I'll keep it in mind for infestations in non-paved areas. Does this chemical harm vegetation or lawns?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting. Haven't run across this product before. Not sure how to get it into the substrate (under the paver bricks), but I'll keep it in mind for infestations in non-paved areas. Does this chemical harm vegetation or lawns?
It harms nothing but caterpillars and insects.

Ask a Question