Plants: a mild obsession

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am a self-confessed plantaholic.
I live in a 3rd floor flat at the moment, but it has lovely big windows. We moved in about a month ago and suddenly seem to have a lot of plant babies around!

My only bugbear is that our shower room is basically a cupboard. No natural light at all - so my orchid plans seem to be out the (non existant) window!

Oh and I also have an allotment.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Excuse me but what's an allotment? Welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I believe an allotment is a rented space where a person can put in a garden. But that‘s just a deduction, maybe someone that‘s had or has an allotment can illuminate the rest of us. I’m more than curious about the details.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An allotment is an area of land divided into a number of plots that people can rent and use for growing fruit and vegetables. They are often owned by a local council or the Church and often run by a committee or allotment association. Rule vary from site to site. Most allow sheds some allow greenhouses, some do not allow fruit trees, but normally soft fruit is allowed, flowers for cutting are also permitted. The tenant is required to keep the plot clean and tidy and to use it. The committee/association often run a "shop" or bulk purchase seeds, compost fertiliser etc. Some have water piped round the site others just a couple of stand pipes.
The rent used to be very little, however it has increased overt past twenty years, also there has been pressure to sell the land for housing etc. Traditionally a plot was 165 * 165 feet (10rods by 10 rods) this dates back to Anglo Saxon times. In modern units about 250square metres or the area of a doubles lawn tennis court . Tis area was supposed to be aple to support a family, nowdays many consider it too large so the old plots are being subdivided into halves and quarters and new plots tend to be smaller. In recent years there has been a waiting list for many sites. Some people used to have several allotment plots and sell the vegetables locally.

Ask a Question