Passion fruit brown specks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! New here and new to gardening. Planted a small passion fruit plant in June of this year and it has grown quite a bit since then. It recently began flowering (over 20 blooms so far) and has set just a couple of fruit. I’ve noticed brown specks on the fruit and am wondering if I should be concerned about any sort of disease or fungus. The plant itself has no spots and seems overall quite healthy despite being eaten by caterpillars.

Is this a problem or nothing to worry about? Thanks in advance!

C0085A38-36B9-413E-A829-8305E2CC3FBB.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

At most, those spots are only very incidental cosmetic damage. I doubt it will affect fruit quality at all. Actually, if all the fruit on the plant look like this, it might even be a normal, purplish, mottled pattern. Do you know which cultivar this is?

Reaction score
Country
United States
D56DB5E8-1D64-49C6-86BA-F30DC8EA2E89.jpeg
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

At most, those spots are only very incidental cosmetic damage. I doubt it will affect fruit quality at all. Actually, if all the fruit on the plant look like this, it might even be a normal, purplish, mottled pattern. Do you know which cultivar this is?
Thank you for your reply and welcome!

I am glad to hear it is probably just cosmetic. I was told it is a purple possum. The only other fruit (so far, hopefully!), upon closer inspection, does seem to also have these spots, though not as pronounced.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Passiflora edulis 'Possum Purple has a deep purple exocarp (fruit skin). Those purple spots are likely the beginning of the fruit's normal pigment development.

Ask a Question