Paper leaf bags

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
New house we bought in New Bern, is nuts with debree issues. First, no place to put the fallen twigs, etc. Its an HOA they do offer one time yearly to pick up stuff at the front of your property, otherwise you have to take it to a local place. Thank goodness the property is nothing like my north house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Esther, Will you use Paper Lawn and Leaf Bags at the new house?
Couple directions, we have a landscaper there, he will fill his truck with garden waste and take it the garden waste area down the street about 6 miles away, which is open only certain days a week. Or once a year the community management company free of charge will take any garden waste if put out front on the road only on one day designated on a schedule. Or, I have been there and filled a bin with pine cones when I know the garbage collector will be the next day. I have not seen any folks in the whole community put out big garden bags for pick up. I am pretty sure there is some rule against it. The whole thing about garden waste down there is nuts. I myself have had to take garden waste to the garden waste area. But because I am down there so infrequently I have to ask a neighbor, "now when is it open again". part of me would love to take stuff to the end of our dock and toss it all in the river, but I am sure someone would yell at me for it. So opposite of my house up north. Totally opposite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, the local authority collects all waste. It's covered by the "community charge" or rates as it was once called which is for all services. We have four wheely bins, two of which are emptied weekly.

1,Plastic and glass 2, Paper,
Both of these are collected once every four weeks,
3, General rubbish,
Collected twice every four weeks
4, Garden and food waste.
Collected weekly, even through the winter when there's little or no garden waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our street takes a sharp 90 and we are the inside lot of that. The prevailing wind blows up the street. So front yard leaves are no problem for us. The neighbor across the road on the north side takes care of that for the whole street :giggle: We only have to deal with the backyard... and tumbleweeds...

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I bought a craftsman leaf sweeper at the sears outlet a few years ago and never looked back. It can be pushed or hitched to a mower. We have a pretty big yard and several fruitless mulberry create which seems like endless leaves. I just drive it around and it makes quick work of sweeping the leaves, and then i dump at the compost pile ;) Not sure if they make them any more...but they should.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This is just a tiny shot of the huge mess of leaves I deal with.
Front yard Autum Trees..jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This was taken in the spring, to feature the Star Magnolia's flanking the sides of the property. From my front door to the street where the shot was taken from is 100 paces. And now all full of leaves. Did one good clearing before we left for holiday, but I am sure I will be greeted with more when we get home.
Front of house..jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Depends what State and City or unincorporated County area you live in in the US. There's always trash collection of course. Some places you have garden recycle bin as well, usually emptied every other week or so on collection schedules if you put it out. Some have recycle bins - either one big one or several for separated materials. Also you can usually take stuff to a central refuse or recycle location. It's differs depending on where you live. We also often have places with large truck size containers in various spots where you can take separated recycling. Some garden centers (nurseries) and landscape material companies accept yard waste and compost it for resale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Depends what State and City or unincorporated County area you live in in the US. There's always trash collection of course. Some places you have garden recycle bin as well, usually emptied every other week or so on collection schedules if you put it out. Some have recycle bins - either one big one or several for separated materials. Also you can usually take stuff to a central refuse or recycle location. It's differs depending on where you live. We also often have places with large truck size containers in various spots where you can take separated recycling. Some garden centers (nurseries) and landscape material companies accept yard waste and compost it for resale.
The house we have in New Bern, NC, that "community" area has the garden recycle collection place, problem is hauling it all there, its a pain. It is 6 miles away, and only open on certain days/times. I have to always keep a huge card board box in the garage to fill up then push it into my SUV , drive it there and pull it out, and dump it. Pain. If I do clean up on Sunday, there is garbage pick up on Monday and they have taken the garden stuff, did pine cones. But issues is----if we have to leave by the time a guest comes in, for the airbnb, I have to have the bin empty for them. Thank goodness my landscaper takes care of stuff when we are gone.

Anyway, in my North house, I simply take it to our burn pile way in the back, and strike a match, easy.

Reaction score
Country
India
Dealing with yard waste can definitely be a bit of a hassle, especially when you have to adhere to specific collection times or drive a distance to dispose of it. @Esther solution with the cardboard box in the SUV sounds resourceful, but I can imagine it's still quite inconvenient at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Dealing with yard waste can definitely be a bit of a hassle, especially when you have to adhere to specific collection times or drive a distance to dispose of it. @Esther solution with the cardboard box in the SUV sounds resourceful, but I can imagine it's still quite inconvenient at times.
Thanks. But glad I am not there often, and the landscaper guy deals with it, he has a open bed pick up truck so he tosses stuff in there and knows when to take it to the recycled place.
But, this week, on our North property, we arrived back from a week away, and the trees dropped more , so my task is to start again to drag them to the burn pile. At least on my property up North I can burn.

Ask a Question