BBQ with Paper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Instead ribs pressure cooked in foil, consider the pink paper that is often used for brisket or other fare, like these spare ribs I like on hickory knots..
IMG_20180920_144201.jpg
IMG_20180920_144058.jpg
IMG_20180920_151104.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Never had bbq growing up in Wisconsin. As close as it got was the weekend grill brots, dogs, and burgers. I have learned to bbq, still though have a bit of an issue with heat control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If they are covered in paper how do you get the smoke to them?
The question is always how do you not get too much smoke to them. Nobody in their right mind cooks small portions in the exhaust of any fire. A whole carcass? Ok maybe. Editing a small piece of meat over coals is done at the end of a cook.
IMG_20180920_155139.jpg

Reload from the right sized bucket /ash bucket

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The question is always how do you not get too much smoke to them. Nobody in their right mind cooks small portions in the exhaust of any fire. A whole carcass? Ok maybe. Editing a small piece of meat over coals is done at the end of a cook.
Yes, you can over smoke meats. On pork ribs I cook them 1 hour in a heavy smoke, either mesquite or live oak. On beef ribs 2 hours. On a brisket 4 hours. On a whole chicken 1 hour. We don't have the butcher paper at the markets so I have to wrap everything in tin foil at the end of the smoking period. I usually use a dry rub on everything but occasionally I use sauce. On a sauce I apply it at the time the meat is almost done. I always cook at between 225F-250F. This is how Texas BBQ is done but different areas have different techniques.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never had bbq growing up in Wisconsin. As close as it got was the weekend grill brots, dogs, and burgers. I have learned to bbq, still though have a bit of an issue with heat control.
When you BBQ you ALWAYS use indirect heat. The pit of @DirtMechanic is the same basic one I have, fire at one end and meat on the other although his upright part of the smoker is bigger than mine. When I cook for a bunch of people and different meats are done at different times is about the only time I ever use that part of the pit. The rest of the time I use the horizontal part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When you BBQ you ALWAYS use indirect heat. The pit of @DirtMechanic is the same basic one I have, fire at one end and meat on the other although his upright part of the smoker is bigger than mine. When I cook for a bunch of people and different meats are done at different times is about the only time I ever use that part of the pit. The rest of the time I use the horizontal part.

I prefer the smokehouse flow on any cooker. A reverse flow horizontal is fine, but while you mess with your technology I will steal your girl.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This dry rub is for 1 brisket: Cover both sides
2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar.
1 tablespoon powdered onion
1 tablespoon powdered garlic
Check the nutmeg in the steak recipe I gave..You will not be sorry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I prefer the smokehouse flow on any cooker. A reverse flow horizontal is fine, but while you mess with your technology I will steal your girl.
What is a reverse flow horizontal? My smoke stack comes out of the upright portion. I basically only use the upright portion to keep things warm. My thermometer is in the center of the horizontal and the upright portion is quite a bit cooler than the horizontal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What is a reverse flow horizontal? My smoke stack comes out of the upright portion. I basically only use the upright portion to keep things warm. My thermometer is in the center of the horizontal and the upright portion is quite a bit cooler than the horizontal.
Picture me so I can see inflow and exhaust

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Picture me so I can see inflow and exhaust
It's pouring down rain so can't get a picture. The inflow is just like yours, the fire box. The 1 ft x 2 ft firebox is welded to a 2 ft diameter pipe that is 4 feet long. On the other end of the pipe the upright is welded on. It is an 18" pipe 4 ft long. The inflow hole from the firebox is a 6" x 8" hole. The exhaust hole going into the upright is 4" x 6". The dampered stack is a 6" pipe 2 feet long.

Ask a Question