Paper Mache Plant Pots

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to make paper mache pots? I have so much paper left over from the semester and I want to recycle them. I was thinking of using them as pots, because they said it will decompose and make the plants healthier. Has anybody tried this?

Reaction score
These aren't paper mache but this is how I make my pots out of newspaper. The one thing I do different is after rolling the paper, I pinch the bottom down over the rim of the can (sometimes I use pillbottles for a different size).

In planting it says to cover all the paper, but if you have trouble with cutworms, leaving a bit of paper above the ground will stop them in their tracks. Just watch them so they get enough water as they are settling in.

They aren't as fancy as the paper mache pots, but they are quick and less messy to make. I've been using these for about 5 years now and they work great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've made something similar to the ones Meowmie posted, though I used an origami diagram. Paper mache isn't really suited for the garden. The best thing is to save the cardboard toilet paper rolls and fold the one end in to make little cups. Nothing to make, easy to do. Put the leftover paper in the compost bin.

Reaction score
I've tried paper mache in the past as well, they don't make great pots to be honest, not very lasting ones, unless you use a ton of mache paper. But if you decide to really try it please let us know, would love to know how it goes for you :)

Reaction score
These aren't paper mache but this is how I make my pots out of newspaper. The one thing I do different is after rolling the paper, I pinch the bottom down over the rim of the can (sometimes I use pillbottles for a different size).

In planting it says to cover all the paper, but if you have trouble with cutworms, leaving a bit of paper above the ground will stop them in their tracks. Just watch them so they get enough water as they are settling in.

They aren't as fancy as the paper mache pots, but they are quick and less messy to make. I've been using these for about 5 years now and they work great.

I tried these a while ago :) Newspaper pots make great pots for starting plants, I use them for cuttings that are ready to be planted and need a home for a bit until they can be transplanted to a bigger pot :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a questions about this... Isn't the ink for printing and bleach for processing the paper considered toxic? I remember reading something about it a long time ago in regard to shredding newspaper for composting. I could be wrong, does anyone know for sure?

Reaction score
No, the ink in newspaper isn't toxic. I think at one point, many, many, years ago it was but it is not now and hasn't been for ages.

I also practice "lasagne gardening" which is a form of raised bed gardening that starts by laying a very thick layer of wet newspaper on the ground, then building up various layers of items to compost and plant in. Many people add newspapers to compost piles, too. It's just not something you need to be afraid of.

Last edited:

Ask a Question