Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! The red spot of the woodpecker is striking .. Lovely close up shots, johnny .. I can only wish .. or dream .. of birds taking foods from my hand.

Now the white breasted nuthatch might follow you home ... Nice to break the ice ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 19198 View attachment 19199 View attachment 19200 View attachment 19202 View attachment 19203 View attachment 19204 View attachment 19205 View attachment 19206 Hello all, I'm really pumped, I fed the birds this snowy morning and it happened. A white breasted nuthatch finally decided to take seeds from my hand. I've been trying for months and only have the smaller red breasted nuthatches land on my hand. Sorry the first two pics of the nuthatch are blurry.
That's amazing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all , raining again for the umpteenth time this week. Congrats Upsy Daisy :)

:cry::cry::cry:! Please Perki, don't rub it in!

had a shower which wetted the ground and not a drop in my butts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny, isn`t the last bird a downy woodpecker? You really got my interest up now, and I want to start learning about Canada`s bird population.
My garden is overrun at the moment by very cheeky and tame blackbirds - mums, dads and offspring. I mulch round the plants, and they come behind me and turf it all out again :rolleyes:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Tetters

My garden is overrun at the moment by very cheeky and tame blackbirds - mums, dads and offspring. I mulch round the plants, and they come behind me and turf it all out again :rolleyes:

Oh, dear! That's WILD life for you.. and I have peanuts up to my eyeballs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still no rain here in Kent, so I`m using the hose as there are quite a lot of new plantings :) The blackbirds fly in for a shower every time - they sit around between the plants with their wings out ready for a shower....the sods. What did their last slave die of o_Oo_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Easter to one & all. Celebrations are almost in order then Upsy :) congratulations! Love the bird pictures Johnny, you must have a way with the birds ;)

Agree, very dry - if this continues on, I can see a hose-pipe ban coming into action

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Easter to you too Mark. Yep all on tender hooks here...........can't wait to meet the little man:D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really hoping all goes well Daisy - I`m sure you'll let us know. Hey Mark I think most blokes reckon they have a way with the birds :giggle: :rolleyes: My place is on a water meter, and I have been using the hose and saving the water in the butts. There doesn`t seem to be any good rain in the forecast that's for sure.
I don`t really mind the birds having a bit of fun, I just get my witches broom out of the car park and clear up behind them.....after all I have to clear up after the dogs :rolleyes::rolleyes: every day we play ''hunt the poo'' smashing fun - wot?:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if I should spend my money on mulch or metered water! Nightmare if it doesn't pour down within 3 weeks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For sure it will rain alp.
Spend your money on mulch........conserves moisture and feeds both soil and plants ;)
A beautiful and hot day here today ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It will definitely rain YOUR way, @Verdun !

Essex and Kent and South coast, we are not so optimistic.. Especially where I live, a little bit up a tiny hill, no rain, 5 minutes' drive down the road, pelting down ..

Is there a cheap way to make my own mulch, Verdun??? Can I use newspapers? I really need to CONSERVE moisture, but need a cheaper way ... Any advice, Verdun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This spent mushroom compost I have is superb. It certainly does the job - I think there are about 6 bags to go now, and I know what a difference it will make.
Have you had much rain in your neck of the woods verdun ?

Ask a Question