Our garden in the spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd share a few photos of how our garden is looking at the moment! We've had some lovely weather recently, so it's been nice to get jobs done. Ian did the planting, I did the tidying up.

Standard roses are starting to take shape:
20150420_124752.jpg

Camelias are out (sorry I don't know the varieties):
20150420_124805.jpg

20150420_124845.jpg

Fishies! :D
20150420_124822.jpg

We planted some Tiarella (spring symphony) in an area that is normally quite shaded:
20150420_124858.jpg

Ian putting in a new hydrangea (Glam Rock) and Ceanothus (Autumnal Blue), along with some vinca for ground cover:
20150420_124913.jpg

Our prunus - it's been under attack from the pidgeons! They've been nibbling the new buds near the centre of the tree:
20150420_125006.jpg

20150420_125037.jpg

New azalea for next to the back door:
20150420_125208.jpg

And finally a new dogwood:
20150420_125247.jpg

Still got loads to do with the garden this year. We need to get the large shrubs at the back of the garden under control, but there are blackbirds nesting in the laurel so we can't cut that back yet. Also I want to get some more heucheras to replace some sad looking lavender. So much to do, so little time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh that looks pretty! I envy you right now cause things are still struggling to bloom where I'm at. Potential frost warning this week. :[

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the first picture, it looks like a formal garden area and is beautiful. I'm also jealous that you can grow Camelias outside, they won't survive our winters here. My mother had one that she had in a pot. It would go outside in summer and come back inside for the winter. It was always so pretty. I'd love to try one, but as I've mentioned before, I can't keep a plant inside to save my life, so I'm afraid the poor thing wouldn't survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
does the screen keep the fish in the pool? Or do the critters pick them off? My mom has tried several materials on her fish pond, but one lanky bird with a long beak just pokes through the squares. Seems the squirrels like to mess with it as well, even though they don't eat the fish..they just don't like the screen.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
does the screen keep the fish in the pool? Or do the critters pick them off? My mom has tried several materials on her fish pond, but one lanky bird with a long beak just pokes through the squares. Seems the squirrels like to mess with it as well, even though they don't eat the fish..they just don't like the screen.

It seems to have done the job so far - we had a heron grab a couple of the fish last year, so I made a frame/net that sits on top of the pond to keep them safe from predators. The downside is it doesn't look as nice and stops frogs from entering, but if it keeps the fish safe then I'm happy :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the lovely feedback everyone! (y) Yep we are lucky in the UK that the temperatures don't tend to drop very low. They don't get very high either though! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's lovely, @Becky! I'm hoping to get camelias (finally) soon. Right now the belle of my yard is my gardenia (pix soon). It just started to bloom and that section of the garden smells heavenly! I also like the hardscaping; did you and Ian do it all yourselves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a beautiful garden you have there, and just lovely flowers! Spring in your world is so pretty. So far, we have too much rain and the winter chill is still lingering. The only flower that bloomed is the daffodil. Others are just poking their heads through the dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's lovely, @Becky! I'm hoping to get camelias (finally) soon. Right now the belle of my yard is my gardenia (pix soon). It just started to bloom and that section of the garden smells heavenly! I also like the hardscaping; did you and Ian do it all yourselves?

Thanks @ChanellG! Fortunately the garden was done by the previous owner, so the only things we've had to think about are plants and the pond. It was a bit of a state when we moved in - everything was overgrown and in need of some TLC! It feels like we're getting there though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Grass is greener at the other side of the fence and that is what I feel now looking at your pictures (lol) Spring has sprung in full measure which is obvious looking at your garden.

Ask a Question