Ugghhh, broccoli - anything better for a spring garden in NC?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I moved to NC and my wife wants us to put in a garden. Is it too late to start for the spring? Any ideas on what grows well here (Im near Raleigh)?

Are there any gotchas with a garden at this time that I should be watching out for? The last thing I want is to do a lot of work and find out I missed something simple and the whole thing fail :-(

THANKS!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Start tilling and amending as soon as possible. Spring crops will work now and summer’s too. You should try to shade or shadecloth cooler crops when you begin to encounter hot weather in May or June. Also, the humidity there is something to consider in the summer in regards to things like foliar spraying and diseases.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much! Do shadecloths trap hummidity? Would that be a problem?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No they shouldn’t affect humidity at all. They will lower the temperature by 10 or 15 degrees on a hot day though. Hang it over the plants, not directly on them, you can use pvc piping to make hoops or attach it upright and attach the cloth to that.

In Raleigh summers it can even be used during July/August on summer crops to aid them during midday heat waves. I use it on my tomatoes when the temperature starts going over 90.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What color of shade cloth do you use? What percentage of shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ask good gardeners in your area. In general though, I think around 50% is sufficient for most applications. Pick whatever color you want, doesn’t matter. I use black and beige ones.

I use a 50% for my outdoor tomatoes in July/August because it can get 120 and they don’t like that. I use a 70% for my greenhouse when it’s above 60 out or my greens wilt. I haven’t seen it slow anything down noticeable but I have seen it aid plants from heat many, many times.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ask good gardeners in your area. In general though, I think around 50% is sufficient for most applications. Pick whatever color you want, doesn’t matter. I use black and beige ones.

I use a 50% for my outdoor tomatoes in July/August because it can get 120 and they don’t like that. I use a 70% for my greenhouse when it’s above 60 out or my greens wilt. I haven’t seen it slow anything down noticeable but I have seen it aid plants from heat many, many times.

I had been meaning to ask you. At what height do you hang your shade cloth? Do you have it so you can walk under it, or just how to you use it? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had been meaning to ask you. At what height do you hang your shade cloth? Do you have it so you can walk under it, or just how to you use it? Thanks

Most of my tomato beds have metal conduit that goes up like 10’ in the air at the corners or pvc pipe bent into hoops. I drape it over the corners or top and attach it with metal twist ties or zip ties. This way it provides a slight hail barrier above the tomatoes. I attached a pic to show you mine currently.

Attachments

• A09D64AA-4912-4F85-B24B-2B9FCB0EB88A.jpeg
    A09D64AA-4912-4F85-B24B-2B9FCB0EB88A.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Ask a Question