Onion sprouts look like hairpins!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted these about 2 weeks ago. I was surprised when they germinated faster then the germination date. Now, they are bending down and going into the soil. Is this normal? I've never grown onions before. Help! Lol! They are Sweet White Spanish Onion by Burpee. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
16470494752264350886428282514835.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Your Onion (Allium cepa) seedlings are not growing back into the ground. The middleof the first leaf (cotyledon) of an onion first emerges from the soil, forming a U-shape. Later the tip of the leaf will spring out of the ground and the leaf will be upright.
Now that they are germinating begin to expose them to full sun or very bright light. Water regularly but make certain that the soil and containers drain well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Your Onion (Allium cepa) seedlings are not growing back into the ground. The middleof the first leaf (cotyledon) of an onion first emerges from the soil, forming a U-shape. Later the tip of the leaf will spring out of the ground and the leaf will be upright.
Now that they are germinating begin to expose them to full sun or very bright light. Water regularly but make certain that the soil and containers drain well.
Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The only danger now is your growing medium drying out and the leaf tip being unable to escape the growing medium.
DON'T soak them, just make sure the compost is moist, & cover with something clear, like a polythene bag, to keep the humidity up, & to let light in too.
I take it this is your first time growing from seed, or you'd know that your seedlings are fine. Good Luck & welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question