Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
31 August 2021 Onions
Posted on August 31, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/August 2021/31 August 2021 Onions/HTML/ 31 August 2021
Onions
About ten pounds of onions were added to the cold room. The tops had completely died off. The onions literally come almost out of the ground, only the roots stay. The largest onion was one pound. All in pristine condition.
dsc_0008_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dislocated my shoulder early in the year. Managed to plant out a few red onions, but had to ditch 130 onion seedlings, my shoulder just wouldn't take planting out. What? Envy? Me?

PS, glad you are not juicing them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Does ten pounds of onions last a year for you, or are they not long keepers?

I grow approx 170 day long onions, 70 day long shallots, 50 intermediate day onions, 60 leeks & some scallions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Does ten pounds of onions last a year for you, or are they not long keepers?

I grow approx 170 day long onions, 70 day long shallots, 50 intermediate day onions, 60 leeks & some scallions!
Onions are not a big menue item for me. The onions eventually sprout pobably in about four months. I have lots of plant food available, which seems effective.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! This is very inspiring. This was my first season attempting to grow anything. I started Walla Wallas from seed & was worried when I saw the tops peaking out. Good to know this is how they grow. Not sure what I missed, but some of our onions were only slightly bigger than a quarter! o_O:p haha its nice to see and post like this & think about how things may improve over time :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we were a family of four I used to reckon an onion for each day of the year. Now it is two of us I will plant out a 12 by 12 seed tray and see how many failures I get, then make up to around 150 with sets. I'll normally grow a few shallot, and leeks as well.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We love our garden onions...and grow and store about 200 pounds a year from 300 sets. Ours are the short day types and we prefer the yellows over the reds primarily because they store better. Harvest in May and plant in November.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Excellent onions! My maternal grandmother plants yellow onions for cooking purposes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The difference between grown onions and shop onions. I have a friend who lives alone but is a bit of a cook, so gave him a bunch of my smaller onions the other year, good for a single person's meal. He phoned me to say he had been chopping one up and was in tears crying, "I haven't had an onion do that to me in years, the shop ones are just bland."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Onions are not a big menue item for me. The onions eventually sprout pobably in about four months. I have lots of plant food available, which seems effective.
I cook British/Chinese/Indian/Mediterranean/Americas food, all of which require onions, which have all the health benefits of garlic.
With the good storage facilities I now have, I eat my home grown onions all year round, never buying any.
I grow around 60 bulbs of garlic each year; 1 per week & 8 for following year's seed.

Ask a Question