Storing onion setts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently received a delivery of onion setts but the company who supplied them inadvertently doubled up on the quantity I had ordered so I'm left with far too many setts.

The company doesn't want them back and no-one I know can take any from me so I was wondering if, stored correctly, they might keep until next year.

If it is feasible, any advice on how to store would be greatly appreciated.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unlikely to keep until next year, I generally have a few left that I keep as replacements for any that don't stat and by mid summer they have either sprouted or shriveled. You could try in the bottom of the fridge in a plastic box, to stop them drying out completely, but you would have to check regularly for rot.
Unlike seeds they don't have a seed coat to keep the moisture in and even many seeds don't keep well from one year to the next.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you like you can send them to me - :happy: I can always find room for a few more, even if they go between the roses.

I love the name @Ivorbigwedge. Welcome !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've recently received a delivery of onion setts but the company who supplied them inadvertently doubled up on the quantity I had ordered so I'm left with far too many setts.

The company doesn't want them back and no-one I know can take any from me so I was wondering if, stored correctly, they might keep until next year.

If it is feasible, any advice on how to store would be greatly appreciated.
I may not be necessary to plant any next year if you have available space this year. Consider planting the extra this year, process and freeze in freezer bags flattened so storage is easy. I'd bet half my SS check processed and frozen will keep better than setts.

Ask a Question