Onion Growing thread, 2019

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The germination rate on my Kelsae has been really good this year at around 95%

At this stage, I assume I now take the lid off the tray and move it to somewhere cooler?

View attachment 49257
View attachment 49258
I can't see your photos but don't remove the lid until the "crooks" come out of the ground, the humidity helps.
Somewhere cooler (best between 5C (41f) and 15C (59f) is a good idea.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mixed result on seedlings here, moved them out of the house as it was too warm and the ones that had germinated were getting leggy.

Then we had the cold weather so even in the cold frame within the greenhouse it was only just above freezing.

Now its warmed up a bit and a few more have germinated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine are also getting leggy and the soil dries quite quickly as well.

I read that once the plants reach 5” tall, trim them back to 2” with scissors as it encourages them to grow thicker and stronger. Do you do that?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not done that before but it probably wouldn't hurt, be like encouraging tillering in grasses :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes do. I tend to do so when I think there is a danger that the seedlings may get damaged, or be awkward to handle.
I also sometimes cut off the crook, if the seedling bends over too much when sprouting.
Neither does any harm.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm guessing those are long day onions?

Here in Texas I grow short day onions( 1015s) every year and start them in the ground from sets in November and harvest them in May.

Many will produce 2 pound bulbs of the sweetest onions ever. I grow enough to generally last from one planting to the next but this year have already consumed last years crop. I have stored the short days 9-12 months.

Here's my 300 for this year...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow a small variety of onions, all from seed, the four varieties already mentioned.
I like strong onions and add sulphur to the beds for pungency. (Epsom Salts)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got some Red Barron and Stutgarter sets today.

Put them in cell trays in the greenhouse, found that if they go out with some root growth already on them it saves having to replant them several times after the birds pull them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, I had trouble with birds digging up and eating my bean seeds, so I put chicken wire over the bed. The plants could come up just fine through the wire, but it deterred the birds. Would that possibly work for your onions?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, I had trouble with birds digging up and eating my bean seeds, so I put chicken wire over the bed. The plants could come up just fine through the wire, but it deterred the birds. Would that possibly work for your onions?

They'd still pull them out thru the wire MG, once they got a bit of root growth they should be fine :)

Said on the radio today that all of the Onion family are good for preventing bowel cancer.

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a type of wild onion/garlic growing in my yard. I was given them a few years ago by an old lady that lived a couple houses down from me, she has since pasted away. However, these wild onion/garlic plants she gave me not only comeback every year(this time of the year), but are spreading thru out my garden -- I love them....

I wish I would have talked to her more when she was here.

This video quality is not the best, but I think what I have growing in my yard is the same thing...

I love when an elderly person gives us some wisdom and maybe even a plant, seedling, cutting and just great gardening information. I got this beautiful Japanese Maple seedling from an 80 yearly old woman at Colonial Williamsburg. I have since learned it needs to be grafted to a mother stock to be official but none the less it is still beautiful and her wisdom and knowledge were so valuable.!

Ask a Question