Onion Growing thread, 2019

Reaction score
Country
gb
Mine are also getting leggy and the soil dries quite quickly as well.

I read that once the plants reach 5” tall, trim them back to 2” with scissors as it encourages them to grow thicker and stronger. Do you do that?

A

Advertising

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
gb
Not done that before but it probably wouldn't hurt, be like encouraging tillering in grasses :)

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Country
gb
I sometimes do. I tend to do so when I think there is a danger that the seedlings may get damaged, or be awkward to handle.
I also sometimes cut off the crook, if the seedling bends over too much when sprouting.
Neither does any harm.

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
us
I'm guessing those are long day onions?

Here in Texas I grow short day onions( 1015s) every year and start them in the ground from sets in November and harvest them in May.

Many will produce 2 pound bulbs of the sweetest onions ever. I grow enough to generally last from one planting to the next but this year have already consumed last years crop. I have stored the short days 9-12 months.

Here's my 300 for this year...

Reaction score
Country
gb
I grow a small variety of onions, all from seed, the four varieties already mentioned.
I like strong onions and add sulphur to the beds for pungency. (Epsom Salts)

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
gb
Got some Red Barron and Stutgarter sets today.

Put them in cell trays in the greenhouse, found that if they go out with some root growth already on them it saves having to replant them several times after the birds pull them out.

Reaction score
Country
us
Zigs, I had trouble with birds digging up and eating my bean seeds, so I put chicken wire over the bed. The plants could come up just fine through the wire, but it deterred the birds. Would that possibly work for your onions?

A

Advertising

Ask a Question