Olive tree in San Fernando Valley, CA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,

About a month ago I planted an olive tree in our backyard. It gets full sun, and this time of year it's regularly ~100+ degrees.

The leaves are turning brown/folding over and the olives are turning black and drying up.

While I watered it very well upon planting, I had initially been wary to not over water the tree, giving it a good soak once a week. The last couple days have been extremely hot so I've been trying to give it more water to compensate as it appears as if its too dry.

Also, our soil appears to be pretty dense. When I water the plants in the area the water seems to pool on top of the soil vs. immediately getting absorbed. Not sure if that's a factor but I assume that could limit the water from getting to the deep roots?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6618.jpg
    IMG_6618.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3740.jpg
    IMG_3740.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you tried throwing some rich potting soil on top or even adding into the soil when you planted the tree. These trees like grit added to there soil. If these trees get too much water root rot will set in but in this case it sounds like it needs natural nutrients to get the root base started

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go to tree2mydoor.com and email them to ask for the email on Olive Teee Care Guide they will send it to you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Olives are really tough trees so don’t panic yet.
A few questions first.
What size container was it in?
Does it get watered with a sprinkler system or only by hand?
Is the top of the rootball at the surface or is it covered up?
From what I can see it looks like it is planted a little deeper than it should be. You probably need to raise it up. If it was a 5 gallon container it won’t be that difficult, if it was bigger you may have to leave it and uncover the top of the rootball.
As far as water goes, if it is hand watered a good, thorough soaking twice a week should be sufficient, especially if it was a 15 or larger. This would be a slow soak for 1/2 hour or so.If it is watered with a sprinkler system, essentially the same frequency but a shorter duration since everything around it is getting water applied at the same time. Check the heads to see what the precipitation rate is and go from there.

Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was about a 24 inch box, so it was pretty large.

I left the hose on two days ago at a slow drip for about an hour, building a little moat for the water to stay and sink into.

I think we're making progress! The olives have totally perked up and now instead of looking shriveled, those that haven't died are smooth, round, and green!

Now... a ton of dead leaves have fallen off, but I assume that's part of the process of the tree becoming more healthy?

Attachments

• IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6611.jpg
    IMG_6611.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you tried throwing some rich potting soil on top or even adding into the soil when you planted the tree. These trees like grit added to there soil. If these trees get too much water root rot will set in but in this case it sounds like it needs natural nutrients to get the root base started
thanks for your response tree is doing great made it though the winter and now is bellowing with new growth and shoots everywhere thanks again

Ask a Question