Arbequina Olive Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received a young Arbequina Olive Tree yesterday. I quickly planted it into a 4 gallon planter. It will be grown in the planter until early next spring when i plant it in the ground. I have a few questions though and hoping you all could help.

I wasnt expcting it to be as big or leafed out as it was. But i also expected it to be one trunk with some branches and leaves. This seems to have a split trunk of sorts. Is that ok, or anything to be concerned about? It seems very "bush" like as in the trunk(s) are very low to the dirt. It was the same in the tiny planter it was packed in.

My other question is, how do i properly train this tree so that the branches grow the way they should. Currently the branches seem to be weak and lean over alot.

I have have attached pictures so that you can see what i am talking about on both points. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• olive1.jpg
    olive1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 314
  • olive2.jpg
    olive2.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just received a young Arbequina Olive Tree yesterday. I quickly planted it into a 4 gallon planter. It will be grown in the planter until early next spring when i plant it in the ground. I have a few questions though and hoping you all could help.

I wasnt expcting it to be as big or leafed out as it was. But i also expected it to be one trunk with some branches and leaves. This seems to have a split trunk of sorts. Is that ok, or anything to be concerned about? It seems very "bush" like as in the trunk(s) are very low to the dirt. It was the same in the tiny planter it was packed in.

My other question is, how do i properly train this tree so that the branches grow the way they should. Currently the branches seem to be weak and lean over alot.

I have have attached pictures so that you can see what i am talking about on both points. Thanks in advance!
Your tree is planted way too deep. The two trunks are growing from the top of the root flare and you are supposed to be able to see about 1/3 of the flare. The two trunks may well be a fork in the main trunk but, you must be able to see. Once you have removed enough soil to see the root flare you will be able to see if it is one or two trunks. If it is you can remove one of them. It looks as if the tree has been sitting in one position for a length of time and all of the leaves and most of the limbs have grown into that position while trying to receive more light. Also, this tree is only lightly cold hardy. It is a zone 8-11 tree. Folks here where I live grow these trees but always in containers as it gets too cold some years for them to not to be damaged or killed in a hard freeze.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where you see the soil line is exactly how I received it. So if it's too deep then it was that way in the itty bitty planter it came in. I purposely followed what it came in. I'll dig it up tomorrow and see for sure, and report back. Also I was told this would survive in zone 7 by the vendor. Even better if I let it mature a bit in at least a 2 gallon planter for 1-2 seasons to better establish its roots. He said if I planted it now it would need heavy mulching the first and possibly second winter season. I have seen on various sites it's 8-11 or 7-11.

Thanks Chuck and I'll report back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where you see the soil line is exactly how I received it. So if it's too deep then it was that way in the itty bitty planter it came in. I purposely followed what it came in. I'll dig it up tomorrow and see for sure, and report back. Also I was told this would survive in zone 7 by the vendor. Even better if I let it mature a bit in at least a 2 gallon planter for 1-2 seasons to better establish its roots. He said if I planted it now it would need heavy mulching the first and possibly second winter season. I have seen on various sites it's 8-11 or 7-11.

Thanks Chuck and I'll report back!
The grower planted it too deep. It happens all the time. Many times the employees were burger flippers last week.. As far as cold hardiness goes I am in 8b and some winters it gets cold. 14F cold although in most winters the coldest it gets is about 22F and at 22F they mostly will survive but they have damage, sometimes severe. At about 15F they are killed. Your grower is correct about an established tree as it will survive colder temperatures than an unestablished tree but anything below about 28F will damage it somewhat. I don't know where you live but New Jersey has 4 hardiness zones from 6 through 7 so keep this in mind if you plant outdoors.

Look up root flare on google

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I lost one to cold in North Carolina two years ago. I had been moving it to a heated barn every night frost was predicted. I forgot one night and that was the end of that tree. I Am in 7b.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So it does appear to be a two trunk tree. I was able to remove about a half an inch of dirt before i started exposing roots. Here is a pic. Let me know if this looks better and is acceptable, or if i still need to remove more.

Attachments

• olive3.jpg
    olive3.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So it does appear to be a two trunk tree. I was able to remove about a half an inch of dirt before i started exposing roots. Here is a pic. Let me know if this looks better and is acceptable, or if i still need to remove more.
You need to remove more soil. I don't know what roots you are seeing but you are not down to the root flare. You must get down to the root flare. A buried root flare will cause all kinds of problems later on and eventually kill the tree. Look at the root flare pictures on google so you know what to look for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Is this what you are looking for?
Much better but just a little more. Now you can begin to see the flare. Maybe another quarter to half inch. You still cannot see exactly where those two trunks start. Why is the soil so wet? Olives DO NOT LIKE WET FEET except when they need watering and this looks wetter than yesterday. Don't just remove the soil from around the base of the tree. Remove the surrounding soil too or it will just eventually wash back in and cover up the flare again when it rains or you water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck,

The roots are literally right there. Already the way it is, the tree is not very firm within the soil. i completely removed from soil and replanted. Some of the original soil was still stuck around the base, it was very firm and and didnt want to damage some of the roots. If you think i should still expose more i will, but i don't know if it will stand. Also, right before i took the pic, there was a passing shower. Let me know what you think i should do.

Regards,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

The roots are literally right there. Already the way it is, the tree is not very firm within the soil. i completely removed from soil and replanted. Some of the original soil was still stuck around the base, it was very firm and and didnt want to damage some of the roots. If you think i should still expose more i will, but i don't know if it will stand. Also, right before i took the pic, there was a passing shower. Let me know what you think i should do.

Regards,
If you think the plant will fall over just get some sticks like bamboo skewers or ice cream sticks and prop it up until it will stand by itself. If you don't expose the root flare you are inviting disease. Remove enough soil that you can actually see where the two trunks emerge from. That area is the top of the root flare. After you do that, as wet as that soil is, you can push down on the soil around the plant and the soil will firm up and expose the flare.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok. i was able to remove all the dirt. a few of the smaller feeder roots broke, and i think one of the bigger ones may have as well, but i think i have what you want. Please review the attached pictures and let me know if this is fine. As you can see some roots are exposed, big and small. Let me know if thats ok.

Attachments

• olive5.jpg
    olive5.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 221
  • olive6.jpg
    olive6.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 208
  • olive7.jpg
    olive7.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 202
  • olive8.jpg
    olive8.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ok. i was able to remove all the dirt. a few of the smaller feeder roots broke, and i think one of the bigger ones may have as well, but i think i have what you want. Please review the attached pictures and let me know if this is fine. As you can see some roots are exposed, big and small. Let me know if thats ok.
Yes, that is what you want. Why did you dig up the entire root system? All you needed was to be able to see the tops of the largest roots. Press down on the soil and compact it around the root ball and keep the plant out of the wind. And let it dry out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks chuck will do! Anything i can do to straighten/train the branches since they are leaning so much? Do i just leave them be? What are your thoughts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks chuck will do! Anything i can do to straighten/train the branches since they are leaning so much? Do i just leave them be? What are your thoughts.
Just leave it alone for a couple of weeks and let it get over all this stress it has gone through. I would keep it inside and turn the container 1/4 each day.

Ask a Question