Arbequina Olive Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck here is the pic of the olive tree as it stands today. Looks ok to me, haven't seen any change. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• olive.jpg
    olive.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck here is the pic of the olive tree as it stands today. Looks ok to me, haven't seen any change. Let me know what you think.
Are you turning the container 1/4 every day? The leaves are all pointing the same direction and the limbs are not straighting up. You may have to get some tall sticks and train the limbs to go upwards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Every day I turn it as you have mentioned. So get sticks for all limbs and they will straighten?
They will straighten but maybe not perfectly. The good thing about this is that you can train the limbs like you want. Be gentle doing this. Don't try to make them straight all at once. Do it gradually and give the plant as much sunlight as possible. The limbs and leaves are reaching for the sun. Have you fertilized the tree lately?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, not yet. I was going to fertilize this weekend. How come you do not recommend all at once. Also how long would you guestimate it would take to straighten a limb? Once straight, how long would you keep the stick there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, not yet. I was going to fertilize this weekend. How come you do not recommend all at once. Also how long would you guestimate it would take to straighten a limb? Once straight, how long would you keep the stick there?
Because doing it all at once can be very stressful especially since you dug up the entire root system. I would guestimate about a month to straighten and another month to keep the sticks in place. If, after you remove the sticks it wants to resume its old shape just put the sticks back on for another month. It will straighten out sooner or later.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As an update to my plant, i wanted to say that is doing well. Limbs have straightened, and i have some new leaf and branch growth. It is indoors now because of the cold. I did want to ask if i should remove the new sprouts that are coming up through the soil. I have attached a picture, please let me know what i should do, if anything.

Attachments

• sprouts.jpg
    sprouts.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As an update to my plant, i wanted to say that is doing well. Limbs have straightened, and i have some new leaf and branch growth. It is indoors now because of the cold. I did want to ask if i should remove the new sprouts that are coming up through the soil. I have attached a picture, please let me know what i should do, if anything.
If you want a tree snip off the shoots. If you want a bush leave them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did something similar with a fig tree. Thinned out the branches and kept new branches from forming for a while by snipping them off as soon as they appeared. In only a year I was able to get it happily growing and it produced wonderful figs that year.

Ask a Question