Odd Clivia blooming behavior

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a Clivia that is showing bizarre blooming behavior...I got it January 2020 (shortly before covid broke out) from a local greenhouse, where it was apparent it had just finished blooming. It bloomed again in June and August, and is now in the process of producing its third flush of blooms this year (not counting the blooms it had just lost when I purchased it)...that's not a bad thing, of course (and has spared me the need to give it the cool, dry wintering period I was expecting to give it), but any idea why this Clivia seems to think it needs to bloom every 2-3 months instead of once a year like I thought it would? If this helps, it is being grown in passive hydroponics (in expanded clay media sitting in a pool of hydroponics solution) under artificial lighting (a 4000k LED bulb around 13-14 hours a day generally...usually 500-1500 footcandles depending on where I measure it on the plant). Thanks for your thoughts :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im in UK and have a couple of clivias...they do flower but probably once maybe twice a year...and sometimes not even once a year and then the next year they flower again. Mine are about 5 years old and still growing strong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
im in UK and have a couple of clivias...they do flower but probably once maybe twice a year...and sometimes not even once a year and then the next year they flower again. Mine are about 5 years old and still growing strong
Yeah, that's what I generally hear about Clivias...still not sure why it does what it does. It opened flush no. 3, by the way;
Clivia 12 2 2020.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yeah mines about same height but ive got think 4 like that in same pot..then iv got another one that dont think its flowered for 2 years..flowers look same colour as mine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about year ago i put one of them outside in the sun for few days...that was big mistake before i found out they dont like direct sun .and half the plant went all dry and brown..so i cut all the browned leaves off and its grown all the leaves back now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
about year ago i put one of them outside in the sun for few days...that was big mistake before i found out they dont like direct sun .and half the plant went all dry and brown..so i cut all the browned leaves off and its grown all the leaves back now
I lost my prior clivia to a similar mistake of placing the plant in a bright, sunny spot...plus the wind ripped the plant up. This current clivia is never setting foot outdoors.

Ask a Question