Fiddle leaf fig odd yellowing of leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello fellow indoor houseplant lovers.

ok here is my story. Fred is my beloved fiddle leaf fig gifted to me by my mother. He has lived with me for nearly 2 years and always been healthy. He has just grown 2 new leaves that were both riddled with edema which I have read can be due to underwatering or overwatering during a growth spurt.

but this is not our main problem:( Fred has started to get a little yellowing in his older leaves. The pictures don’t really do the yellowing justice but I have attached some of the new healthier leaves for a comparison.

worth noting - have just moved house and he is in a new spot however it still gets plenty of filtered natural light (more than the last spot actually). Water 1/2 times a fortnight with the top 2/3 cm of the soil is dried out, fertilise with slow release fertiliser once every 4-6 months, has been repotted once around 6 months ago after getting to big for original pot. Soil seems to drain fine. no idea how to help. I have ordered a soil monitor to see if the soil is too acidic but that’s all I can think of.

or perhaps he is healthy and this is a normal change... no

Any help welcomed!

first image - Fred in all his glory
Second image - little Fred with edema leaf
Third image - healthy newish leaf
Last 3 images - the yellowing slightly older leaves (but are not the oldest on the plant)
1CA4A527-FCE9-427F-AA51-8673924A47CF.jpeg
59433583-F669-44E8-B803-DF01ACA0E53C.jpeg
57F0CD1F-03F0-4030-87DD-AA59142183F8.jpeg
2CCCB7B5-4E07-47C5-9F6C-55F70761AF94.jpeg
C81E1787-4158-467E-B4D8-13D6446BC9FA.jpeg
1CC448AA-9B4D-4739-A1C4-AB02CF1CB414.jpeg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Keeksfig welcome to the forum :)
Has it got any insects under the leaves? Have you cleaned the leaves?
It's not sitting in water?
It could be that it's getting more light .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Overall your plant looks good. Don’t worry about the red spots - they will go away on their own, this is something FLFs do. The yellowing leaves look like they may have some spider mites. Try wiping them off with a damp cloth. How often do you check the moisture level? I usually check it once a week. I pick a day that becomes ‘plant service day’ and do all the maintenance chores on that one day only, unless there is a catastrophe. Between times I look at them and enjoy without judgement on care. The yellowing may be due to the newest leaves having more light so looking more vigorous without any reduction in health. More light is almost always a good thing.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Overall your plant looks good. Don’t worry about the red spots - they will go away on their own, this is something FLFs do. The yellowing leaves look like they may have some spider mites. Try wiping them off with a damp cloth. How often do you check the moisture level? I usually check it once a week. I pick a day that becomes ‘plant service day’ and do all the maintenance chores on that one day only, unless there is a catastrophe. Between times I look at them and enjoy without judgement on care. The yellowing may be due to the newest leaves having more light so looking more vigorous without any reduction in health. More light is almost always a good thing.

Hello CPP gardener,

I have taken my fiddle outside today and really, REALLY inspected the leaves! You are right. Spider Mite.
Very tricky to see... I have run the plant under the shower and bought some eco-neem oil which will hopefully get rid of any clingers on!
Hope he manages to pull through. Thanks for your help :)

Keeksfig and Fred

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi @Keeksfig welcome to the forum :)
Has it got any insects under the leaves? Have you cleaned the leaves?
It's not sitting in water?
It could be that it's getting more light .

Hello Logan!

Thanks for the welcome. I have taken my fiddle outside today and really, REALLY inspected the leaves! I usually wipe the top but never the underside.... :( Very tricky to see but there were TINY white little dots peppered all over the undersides of most leaves... I have run the plant under the shower and bought some eco-neem oil which will hopefully get rid of any clingers on!

Keeksfig and Fred

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Logan!

Thanks for the welcome. I have taken my fiddle outside today and really, REALLY inspected the leaves! I usually wipe the top but never the underside.... :( Very tricky to see but there were TINY white little dots peppered all over the undersides of most leaves... I have run the plant under the shower and bought some eco-neem oil which will hopefully get rid of any clingers on!

Keeksfig and Fred
That's great then hope that works.
Logan

Ask a Question