Fiddle leaf fig root rot, sunburn, or trauma?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I received my first FLF as a birthday present and it was shipped to me. I’ve had him (Walt) for about 3 weeks now and when I first got him his soil was very damp (from overwatering prior to his trip I’m assuming) so I didn’t water him. I’ve watered him once since getting him after making sure the soil was nice and dry. He did have a couple of spots on him when I first got him but now they are spreading and I’m not sure if it’s trauma from the way he was wrapped and it’s just now coming through... Or if it’s root rot..or if he’s sunburned. I find sunburn to be less likely of the options Bc he doesn’t get any direct sunlight. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The answer is........ none of the above. Walt was probably a little over-fertilized at the nursery and that's where the spots are coming from. The damp soil was to keep the roots from drying on Walt's trip, he wasn't overwatered. Now keep him evenly moist and in a well lit area and all should go well. The leaves with the spots will eventually yellow and fall, it's just how it goes - don't panic. One biggie is not to repot or remove the soil. The little green beads in the soil are slow-release fertilizer and will take at least 3 months to dissipate, don't feed Walt for at least 6 months to avoid even more damage. BUT DON"T REPOT TO REMOVE THEM. That will do more damage than the beads. The brighter the location, the faster Walt will use the nutrients, so give him as much light as you can. Even 2 to 3 hours of direct sun would be okay.

So to recap; not overwatered, slightly overfertilized, give as much light as you can, and keep Walt moist but not soggy.

Happy plant parenting!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much!! I’ve been avoiding repotting because I was worried about another big change for him so good to know! I will give him some more time before I repot him...I was going to buy regular potting soil and bought a cement pot that’s 2” bigger and has plenty of draining holes...thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds good. The potting soil should be sort of “gritty” with sand and perlite. I like to use Uni-Gro or Edna’s Best from E.B. Stone. I’m sure where you are there is something similar if those are not available. I would avoid something that is very fine and completely organic compost. If that’s all that’s available then get some perlite and mix it about 50/50. You can also add fine grade orchid bark as well.

Ask a Question