Not sure how to revive our lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Looking for suggestions to revive our lawn. It was massively overgrown and we’ve recently cut it right back to in uncover a straw like mossy mess!

Is it beyond repair? Can we revive it at all? Do we need to lift it and lay turf or seed it and if so how do we do it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions we’re absolute novices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F2B2DDAF-F4DF-4912-980A-CFE6B6A0A739.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It needs either patience...or money.
For the former, it looks as if it needs a good scarifying, plenty of water, then a feed and see where you go from there.

Or if you can afford it and don't want the hassle, re-turf it, but it will also need quite a bit of work if you are doing it yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The easiest thing to do would be to spray with a strong molasses mix. This will greatly speed up the decomposition of the thatch. Then keep it mowed until the grass comes back and while waiting for this to happen do something about any weeds that will appear. Frequent mowing will eventually kill the weeds as there will be no weeds seeds to germinate. Then when the weather is right re-seed

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent suggestions Sean & Chuck which should help. Grass is tough and resilient so even a lawn in such poor condition will respond to some TLC; whatever you do don't apply too much lawn feed; my chum found out the hard way and his lawn took a year to recover.

I too had lawn problems the grass being more moss than grass and everything I tried didn't help; our site is very steep and with mature trees and shrubs adding shade I gave up on the grass and turned our garden into something more interesting. It was extremely hard work taking a couple of years but what a difference now and it's been well worth the time and effort; just something to think about?

Kind regards, Colin.

No grass_001.JPG

This area was covered in hedges and a joke of a lawn; the grass was full of moss and weeds; I became fed up of it so the grass had to go; all we now have are grass paths to look after plus of course lots of weeding.

No grass_002.JPG

It sure is steep and involved a great deal of time and effort; since taking this picture everything has become established with the ground cover spreading nicely. Please note the poor grass but even this is now looking much better having been recently treated.

Creating meadow 10.JPG

Our new wildflower meadow looking wonderful. The seeds were only scattered a few weeks ago; possibly more work than grass but better to look at.

Our meadow 10.JPG

40' long blaze of colour. I'm completely new to this so need to sort out what to do once the flowers die; it won't be a problem to remove the lot then rotavate again and sow more wild flowers next year; the wild flowers were very cheap from;

https://www.meadowmania.co.uk/

I've only done gardening on a need to do basis but now I'm enjoying my time in the gardens and I'm experimenting. It's a great deal better than sitting in front of a TV watching someone kick a ball around.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
3 apps of roundup
powerseed on week 4 with a turf-type fescue
and a starter fertilizer, all done around a sept. 1 window for optimal germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Roundup has been in the news a lot lately. Untold millions of dollars have been awarded to folks who claim it has caused cancer. Different courts have stated that Roundup is not safe. The Environmental Protection Agency has said it is safe. If you want to take a chance on using it you should hurry because Monsanto is having to pay a LOT of money to plaintiffs and who knows how long Monsanto will continue to make the product. There are 1000's of lawsuits pending

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ok, then spectracide.
I'd say let a pro do it-money well spent, you don't have to handle any product, and you'll have guaranteed lawn if you follow directions.
local company does this all over my area, with amazing results-timing is everything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really don't understand why people insist on using toxic chemicals when other safe methods are available. I suppose it is the time saved. All one has to do is read the label and he will know that the product is harmful. I don't know about where anyone else lives but where I live these "professionals" are just employees who are ignorant of the dangers involved in touching and breathing these chemicals. It's rare to see the owner of the business out spraying with Roundup or Spectracide or 2,4-D or Triclopyr or any of the many glysophates. It is true that some of these chemicals are actually needed if used in a selective manner but to just go out and spray willy nilly these toxic products seems a bit irresponsible to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actuallly, if you just check your average daily temps, 70f is a magic number for growing cool season grasses as well as winter weeds. 85f and they are going dormant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Excellent suggestions Sean & Chuck which should help. Grass is tough and resilient so even a lawn in such poor condition will respond to some TLC; whatever you do don't apply too much lawn feed; my chum found out the hard way and his lawn took a year to recover.

I too had lawn problems the grass being more moss than grass and everything I tried didn't help; our site is very steep and with mature trees and shrubs adding shade I gave up on the grass and turned our garden into something more interesting. It was extremely hard work taking a couple of years but what a difference now and it's been well worth the time and effort; just something to think about?

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 55548

This area was covered in hedges and a joke of a lawn; the grass was full of moss and weeds; I became fed up of it so the grass had to go; all we now have are grass paths to look after plus of course lots of weeding.

View attachment 55549

It sure is steep and involved a great deal of time and effort; since taking this picture everything has become established with the ground cover spreading nicely. Please note the poor grass but even this is now looking much better having been recently treated.

View attachment 55552

Our new wildflower meadow looking wonderful. The seeds were only scattered a few weeks ago; possibly more work than grass but better to look at.

View attachment 55553

40' long blaze of colour. I'm completely new to this so need to sort out what to do once the flowers die; it won't be a problem to remove the lot then rotavate again and sow more wild flowers next year; the wild flowers were very cheap from;

https://www.meadowmania.co.uk/

I've only done gardening on a need to do basis but now I'm enjoying my time in the gardens and I'm experimenting. It's a great deal better than sitting in front of a TV watching someone kick a ball around.
oh I agree about fertilizer....too much is not the best. Add more later if needed...hot all at once!

Ask a Question