Not in my vegetable garden....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JLVLS 3 November 2011 Cooking Parsnips.

The last of my parsnips was cooked today. This most pleasant vegetable in not often utilized, and I suspect from not cooking in a palatable form.

Method of cooking: Wash, cut into longitudinal pieces fairly thick,steam cook for about five minutes (watch closely since it cooks quickly). After cooking place on a butter greased oven pan, swipe the parsnip slices with butter and sprinkle a small amount of brown sugar, place under broiler and brown slightly. Serve.

The broiling tends to reduce the liquid and toast the parsnips. It makes for a most attractive dish, which even children will like. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and nuked for later meals. Parsnips make a good substitute for potatoes.
URL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JJXAC 21 June 2012 Cooking Beets
Cooking beets with no bleeding. Cut tops off above the beet, don’t cut the tail off, rinse soil off, cook boil or steam no difference, and remove the skin after cooling in cold water. Absolutely no bleeding or mess. Use the tops like any other green. They are probably the best green in the garden.
URL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YEKDK 19 August 2014 Cucumber Juice.
A large number of garden cucumbers were available so they were made into 8 liters of juice along with three onions. Seven liters were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. One liter is for immediate use.Pictures depict the process.
URL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VUNWP 21 September 2013 Butternut Squash.Juicing
Squash is in season and readily available. Thirty pounds were purchased and processed into 19 litres of juice. The seeds were removed and discarded, since there were so few.The complete squash was cut into small pieces and cooked until soft, blended into a slurry and poured into litre jars.Straining is not necessary.The cut pieces were covered with water to facilitate cooking and to thin for drinking. The jars were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.Pictures depict the process.
URL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Between the two of us we seem to like most vegetables but individually there are some each of us are not keen on.

I'm not keen on parsnips, either, but my wife likes them roasted.

Butternut squash is another 'just one of us' vegetables. My wife loves it in all forms of cooking and, especially, roast with some garlic and cumin. I find it too sweet for my palate but am quite happy to have it as a soup, cooked with coconut milk.

It's very easy to grow but needs space. We don't need to preserve it in any way as, once stood in the sunshine for a week or two, it will sit happily on the worktop or in the cupboard for months.

These were picked fresh and after their week in the sun they will change to the regular brownish coloured skin. To keep them, it's best to pick them with as much stalk as possible left on the vegetable.

185_8540.JPG

My favourite vegetables are runner beans.

P1110112.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't stand the taste or the smell of radish, so this won't be growing in my garden. I know it is healthy for me to eat and put in my salad, but the smell of it giving me an instant headache.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I sprinkle sliced courgettes with salt for a few minutes before frying, it draws the moisture out. Dab it off with a kitchen towel.
Oh, I like squash and courgettes, and we have fried courgettes and spaghetti sauces made with them and roasted and mashed squash. It's particularly the SPAGHETTI squash that I have no time for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Courgettes are fine, it's the sweeter ones i'm not keen on.

Grow your squashes upwards if space is limited, one of mine grew over the fence and straight up next doors leylandii, the squashes hung off it like a Christmas tree :D

Will definitely do that. Have to get the storage tubs and start filling them with soil so I can get the plugs going once and for all. Last weekend was plant acquisition. This coming weekend will be planters and more soil.

I add salt and smoked paprika to the sweeter ones like butternut when I'm cooking. Do the same thing with sweet potato.

@Ian, I love parsnips! Only recently had them for the first time.

While I don't care for the flavor of fennel in some situations, I sliced and sauteed a bulb I got in a CSA box from the farmer's market a while back with onion, garlic and herbs, and it canceled some of that flavor. Was much milder - it's all in how you approach the vegetable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, I like squash and courgettes, and we have fried courgettes and spaghetti sauces made with them and roasted and mashed squash. It's particularly the SPAGHETTI squash that I have no time for.

I find that spaghetti squash doesn't have much flavor. It's watery and it's hard to tell that it's actually cooked so you're not sure if the texture you end up with is what it is supposed to be... I haven't given up on it though.

Reaction score
Probably beets, I have never liked the way that nasty thing tastes like. I know some people love it, even like to steam it and eat it just like that, but for me that veggie is just too much! I kinda liked to add a bit of beet to my veggie juice some years ago, but that's it. Not growing beets ever!

Ask a Question