No Dig / Green Manure - does soil improve every year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have a septic system so the human waste stays on site and feeds the soil microcosm. It's the driest state on the driest continent in the world here. The city's sewerage is processed and goes back onto farms and has done so for decades.
The king's Highgrove House looks more at ease with nature than Dowding's sample plot.
Some of our young female reporters on TV have faces so made up, with eyelashes, eyes, hair, jewelry, lips and skin so perfect I feel like asking "are you a robot?". I'm guessing that is an outcome of AI. So I'm guessing that the faultless geometry of the public face of no-dig gardening is also because of the computers' 'virtual reality' presentation style. I'm just not convinced that it has the survival gene. It wouldn't last long here. Everything thing is based on irrigation here,
I would have thought that's all you need in order to be sustainable.

I don't think it matters in the big scheme of things whether you use green manure dug in (sil life recovers in 3 months orso), chop and drop, compost or animals to provide organic matter for your soil. Whether or not you dig; whether or not you use compost or green manures grown in situ - that will make less difference than whether or not you pump your sewage to the local sewage farm or process it on site. If you do the latter you have a closed system that will be sustainable.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been hearing of the circular recycling system coming to save us all. Probably gardeners are the best of society with our reuse of grass, manure, seed and food products. The fashion industry and building industry and plastics, packaging businesses seem to be the worst.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have been hearing of the circular recycling system coming to save us all. Probably gardeners are the best of society with our reuse of grass, manure, seed and food products. The fashion industry and building industry and plastics, packaging businesses seem to be the worst.
I'm coming at this more from the angle of wanting my personal plot of land (and life) to be sustainable as possible. Not to save the planet, but to get completely off the treadmill of society. If you don't need to buy anything in order to grow food you don't need money. You thereofore don't need to be a slave to the system.

Also I don't trust other people. Especially big corporations. Living completely sustainable (aka independently of others) isn't possible. But the closer you get, the less money you need. The less money you need the less you need to cow tow to others, the sooner you can break the shackles and be free.

Of course, you can do it with a complete clear concience if you aren't harming others in the process. And the final cherry on the cake is it gets really interesting when you start to see the diversity and wild life build in your little plot. Creating a little oasis is a great way to spend the latter part of your life.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm coming at this more from the angle of wanting my personal plot of land (and life) to be sustainable as possible. Not to save the planet, but to get completely off the treadmill of society. If you don't need to buy anything in order to grow food you don't need money. You thereofore don't need to be a slave to the system.

Also I don't trust other people. Especially big corporations. Living completely sustainable (aka independently of others) isn't possible. But the closer you get, the less money you need. The less money you need the less you need to cow tow to others, the sooner you can break the shackles and be free.

Of course, you can do it with a complete clear concience if you aren't harming others in the process. And the final cherry on the cake is it gets really interesting when you start to see the diversity and wild life build in your little plot. Creating a little oasis is a great way to spend the latter part of your life.
Being part of a network is a possible way to your goals of independence. As you age your abilities weaken. You need an intergenerational community. I have heard of solitary gurus but only because younger searchers for truth have recorded their meeting.
As for the 'circular economy' - it has become a necessity. Consuming less and recycling more is the aim of lots of us. Hopefully more people are seeing themselves as part of nature too.

Ask a Question