Irish Digger in Australia

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I come from The Land Down Under and have an interest in Permaculture, Squarefoot Gardening and Raised Garden Beds for the growing of vegetables, my wife tends to the flowers and shrubs and she will only allow me to prune whilst under her strict supervision.

I should have got rid of a couple of trees and in the end we had to call in the tree removers and here they are at work,

Being from a rural background I also have an interest in vintage tractors, trucks and machinery, we both enjoy train travel and have travelled throughout Australian by train, The Ghan being an example.

In addition to our homestead garden we have this out the back which is a conservation reserve,

So as to maintain bush fire prevention we conduct controlled burns which in addition to reducing fuel build-up, fire also promotes native growth,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three blokes for a little tree like that? I don't know if they took everything away, but you should have a look at Meadowlark's thread on Hügelkultur, it is basically burying wood to make a raised mound which drains into it, and draws moisture and nutrients from it in dry times.
I remember seeing a docu. where a light aircraft was dropping fire starters over the bush, they said if fuel is allowed to build upthe next fire is hot enough to kill the grown trees. Apparently before white men turned up the locals used to have regular burns to drive game, and some trees are adapted so that the seeds only open up when they have been through a fire, that's true of some over here as well I think.
Anyhow, welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing you around.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Gd'day Oliver, on the truck there was a crew of five and they just called in to do my little job.

They put the removed trees/bushes through a Mulcher which they tow around the jobs with the truck, we kept the mulch to spread around the garden beds.

No gardening for me today as it is currently 40% C in the shade.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Bonjour, @IrishDigger! What type of flowers does your wife have?
Hi Louis, I'll get my wife to make a short list, I know there are lots of flowers and shrubs and I know she loves her roses, she was disappointed she lost her Angela Taylor Rose ( in memory of Police Constable Angela Rose Taylor aged 21 who was killed in a bomb explosion in 1986) but I have sourced a replacement rose.

My wife is out bush at the moment training our Golden Retrievers.

Ask a Question