New to Organic Farming

maddynamite

Love to have my own Garden!
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone.

I am new to this forum and want to start a small organic farm at home. I live in a small apartment but I have heard we can grow tomatoes and peppers in a small pot. Is this true? Can anyone help me with some basics on how I can do this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To be successful you will need at minimum 6 hours of direct sunlight, more would be better. But yes you can grow most vegetables in containers although it depends on what you call a small pot.

maddynamite

Love to have my own Garden!
Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm okay so I live in New Jersey and I'm not sure how I will be able to get 6 hours of sunlight every day.. especially since the place has long winters. Can I use artificial lights?...And By small i meant.. 2x3 ft containers...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hmm okay so I live in New Jersey and I'm not sure how I will be able to get 6 hours of sunlight every day.. especially since the place has long winters. Can I use artificial lights?...And By small i meant.. 2x3 ft containers...
You might be able to grow patio type tomatoes in your containers with artificial light as they don't get very tall and some of the smaller pepper varieties but even they would be a stretch. To bring vegetable plants to fruition they need a lot of light and I just don't know if you can provide enough artificial light for plants to bear fruit. I don't know of anyone who has been successful at growing tomatoes or peppers in the short daylight hours of winter either. I am sure there is someone here who can give better info than I can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck, dwarf tomato varieties are excellent for small pots. I grow Tiny Tim. It will max out at a height of twelve inches or a little more, and will bear great tasting little red fruits. As for light, all vegetables need as much sunlight as possible, however, grow-lights can be purchased.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, Miracle Gro does have an OMRI rated product called Performance Organic Soil. I am glad they are finally getting a decent product on the market. Too bad about everything else they sell. Maybe someday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well in that case, the first chance I get I will buy some! Chuck, do you think I should remove the old soil from my garden and start over, or just add the new, better soil to my yucky existing soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well in that case, the first chance I get I will buy some! Chuck, do you think I should remove the old soil from my garden and start over, or just add the new, better soil to my yucky existing soil?
All the stuff that was added to the soil has probably leached out by now. Since you now know where to get Medina fertilizer everything will be better and continue to get better if you stay with organic products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to buy some, beebrain! :mad:
Bee's a good guy. Let's try to play nice and try to avoid name calling. OK? Bee's knows a lot about gardening. You could learn a lot from him. His gardening methods are a LOT different than what we are accustomed but sometimes are applicable to us as well. The UK is a lot different than here.

Ask a Question