New to Organic Farming

maddynamite

Love to have my own Garden!
Reaction score
Country
us
Hello Everyone.

I am new to this forum and want to start a small organic farm at home. I live in a small apartment but I have heard we can grow tomatoes and peppers in a small pot. Is this true? Can anyone help me with some basics on how I can do this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
us
To be successful you will need at minimum 6 hours of direct sunlight, more would be better. But yes you can grow most vegetables in containers although it depends on what you call a small pot.

Ad

Advertisements

maddynamite

Love to have my own Garden!
Reaction score
Country
us
hmm okay so I live in New Jersey and I'm not sure how I will be able to get 6 hours of sunlight every day.. especially since the place has long winters. Can I use artificial lights?...And By small i meant.. 2x3 ft containers...

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
us
hmm okay so I live in New Jersey and I'm not sure how I will be able to get 6 hours of sunlight every day.. especially since the place has long winters. Can I use artificial lights?...And By small i meant.. 2x3 ft containers...
You might be able to grow patio type tomatoes in your containers with artificial light as they don't get very tall and some of the smaller pepper varieties but even they would be a stretch. To bring vegetable plants to fruition they need a lot of light and I just don't know if you can provide enough artificial light for plants to bear fruit. I don't know of anyone who has been successful at growing tomatoes or peppers in the short daylight hours of winter either. I am sure there is someone here who can give better info than I can.

Ask a Question