New to Landscaping!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past year, I've been experimenting in my own garden and have picked up a few cool things: (Which you probably already know)

1. Layering Plants: Planting taller plants at the back and shorter ones in front creates a sense of depth and makes the garden look fuller.
  2. Soil Matters: Before planting anything, I learned it's crucial to understand the type of soil you're working with. It can make a huge difference in how plants grow.
  3. Watering Techniques: Not all plants need the same amount of water. I've started using a drip irrigation system for some of my plants, and it's been a game-changer.
I'm still a newbie and would love to hear any tips or tricks you all might have for someone just starting out in landscaping. Anything you wish you knew when you first began?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The one thing I wished I knew early on was how to use an EC or TDS and pH meters. If you are going to work with plants it's important to know the basics of matching plants to the soils.

The second thing I think is very important in the landscaping business, is knowing how to get the soil tested at a good soil lab. If you have a good connection with a soil lab from a University you can get professional recommendations to make the soil complete. It's so easy and worth the money if you are investing a lot of money in plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My biggest mistake during my early adventures was buying fruit trees without any knowledge of diseases in my area. Sometimes learning the hard way is the only way because I would have not know before hand. However, now a days there are plenty of great disease resistant fruit trees. Bacterial spot and gummosis on sweet cherries, nectarines, peaches and plums. Cedar rust on apple trees Fabraea leaf spot on pears. Now that I know that I just need to buy trees that are resistant to those diseases. What a difference in growth and fruit production. The only trees I dont spray are the pawpaws.

Bacterial spot gets on just about every tree. Bacterial spot resistant trees are a must. Especiallly for the white peaches and white nectarines.

I can not grow European pears because of fabraea. Took a while to figure that out but the asian pears have a high resistance. Therefore I grow the asian pear varities.

I give a tree a max of 2 years to grow well. If it doesnt grow well it gets pulled. I waisted so much time and money spraying trying to keep it thriving when the environment was inappropriate.

With anything in life, experience and commitment will always help improve with anything you do. Live and never stop learning.

MOD

Ask a Question