Frontyard appeal landscaping - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Help.. my yard needs help :( it's so sad.. my lawn is resecending and my scrubs are just malnutrition... please give ideas how to make this more presentable.

Attachments

• 20220426_124315.jpg
    20220426_124315.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220426_124309.jpg
    20220426_124309.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I notice that the greenest grass is where the downspouts run out. Why would that be?

Rain water contains no minerals and likely has a different pH than your city water. Are you irrigating the lawn with sprinklers or city water? If you are then maybe over time the carbonate content of the city water has raised the pH too high or if it contains sulfur, lowered it too far. Just throwing some thoughts out. I think the first thing I would do for the lawn is get a complete soil sample. That may also teill you the problem with the bushes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi there 4getMEknots

Your front yard looks structured and organised with the fox row and these highly grown bushes! Would look amazing, if there wasn't the issue with the drought!

What Yum Yum put in, sounds reasonable, certaily worthwhile to check on!

I'd suggest to plant different shapes and hights of plants, grasses and flowers, which don't need to be irrigated. If you chose domestic plants, it would create interest for wildlife such as bugs and bees and you could observe the seasons.

Secondly, planted plots look more spaciously!

Good luck and best wishes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I agree with what YumYum said on soil chemistry. If you would like more ideas, I actually wrote a post about curb appeal on my blog a while back. I would especially recommend getting a few potted plants for the porch or maybe a window box for flowers. Also, if you want to use the soil sample idea, but don't know where to start, try using a testing kit from your local store or order one online. Also, try a soil triangle/"jar test." I went ahead and posted links below to what I referenced. Also: if the grass on your lawn isn't doing well, try coming up with an alternative such as creeping thyme. I've had a few neighbors do this, and it takes them less effort/water to have a lawn than a traditional grass lawn. Have a nice day and I hope this helps!

The blog post: https://www.laurensorganicgardening.com/blog-1/curb-appeal-ideas-annoucement

Ask a Question