Desperate landscaping advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just joined the forum tonight. :)
We moved into a newish build house a couple of weeks ago and the garden is a mess. I have attached pictures. We just don't know where to begin with it. It's on several levels and sloping down. They are big drops in the decking and steps and we dont know what to do. Our garage is along the back and this is the lowest level ground and the house sits high up.
We have young children and so the drops are not safe and we would like to maximise the space and create something which is more level. We would also like to remove the balustrade.

Attachments

• 20220228_144634.jpg
    20220228_144634.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220228_144718.jpg
    20220228_144718.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220228_144756.jpg
    20220228_144756.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220228_144807.jpg
    20220228_144807.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220228_144818.jpg
    20220228_144818.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220228_144831.jpg
    20220228_144831.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220228_144843.jpg
    20220228_144843.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220228_144904.jpg
    20220228_144904.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220228_144914.jpg
    20220228_144914.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220228_144917.jpg
    20220228_144917.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220228_144929.jpg
    20220228_144929.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220228_144958.jpg
    20220228_144958.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

We must start with a few obvious reality checks.

There will almost certainly need to be different levels of either terraces or decking in this garden.

Possibly, one could build a level deck from the house out to the edge of the garden. This would be a major construction. Building a level terrace with retaining wall and imported soil, concrete, and rock would be an even more ambitious undertaking. Both constructions would create a virtual cliff at the edge, and railings would be imperative.

Where the level differences are greater than a step, there must/should be railings or other barriers. Still, some of the present railing does not seem necessary.

If your children are still so young that they are likely to fall down steps, then safety gates must/should be employed. These can be similar to the kind that are used indoors, though perhaps more durable so as to withstand the elements.

Of course, if there is space, you could build ramps instead of steps. In truth, sloping ground is itself a type of ramp.

Still, looking at the pictures, it appears that the number of levels can be reduced, either by removing some decking and pavement, or by adding more decking or pavement, or by bringing in topsoil to raise up (and then replant) the lawn areas. So the which do you want, more lawn, decking, or pavement?

The usual forte of these forums is plants, gardens, and of course gardening, but of course, first the basic decisions regarding how to level the terrain must be decided.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

We must start with a few obvious reality checks.

There will almost certainly need to be different levels of either terraces or decking in this garden.

Possibly, one could build a level deck from the house out to the edge of the garden. This would be a major construction. Building a level terrace with retaining wall and imported soil, concrete, and rock would be an even more ambitious undertaking. Both constructions would create a virtual cliff at the edge, and railings would be imperative.

Where the level differences are greater than a step, there must/should be railings or other barriers. Still, some of the present railing does not seem necessary.

If your children are still so young that they are likely to fall down steps, then safety gates must/should be employed. These can be similar to the kind that are used indoors, though perhaps more durable so as to withstand the elements.

Of course, if there is space, you could build ramps instead of steps. In truth, sloping ground is itself a type of ramp.

Still, looking at the pictures, it appears that the number of levels can be reduced, either by removing some decking and pavement, or by adding more decking or pavement, or by bringing in topsoil to raise up (and then replant) the lawn areas. So the which do you want, more lawn, decking, or pavement?

The usual forte of these forums is plants, gardens, and of course gardening, but of course, first the basic decisions regarding how to level the terrain must be decided.
Thank you for your reply, sorry I didn't make it very clear with my original post. We like maximum grassed areas. We dont like decking at all. We dont mind pavement but preferably to a minimum and love borders and plants.

Our children are 1.5 and 4 so still pretty young and the baby has already injured himself on the stairs so I want to get it sorted as soon as i can really.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like several deck areas can be removed, though it would be good to find out what is underneath them first.

There will still be some areas that will require retaining walls and railings, as well as a gate at the top of the flight of steps. However if this is built properly, and the gate kept locked when unattended, it should be quite safe. Consider a ramp instead of stairs, though a fall can happen on a ramp as well.

Decide if the small step down from the paved terrace to the lawn is a danger. If it is, you can bring in topsoil and raise the lawn area a few inches, then re-seed or re-sod.

Instead of a railing you could build a raised garden bed between two different levels. This could could serve as an attractive planting area and a sturdy barrier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Ememz. :)

You're priority here is the safety of your children so with that in mind I have some ideas.

First the removal of all the decking, lethal to walk on went wet or icy and worse if moss, algae etc. grows on it. I would keep the current height of the raised ground but extend it right across the garden, side to side. This in turn removing the need for the balustrade close to the house. Seeing the gate at the side of the house, I think it would be better to place steps down in line with that, away from the central area and at the garage end. The balustrade could be extended right across the end of the raised area from side to side with a gate accessing the steps, which in turn would create a full pathway alongside the garage area and to the external garden gate. If the garden gate is used more than the house side gate then the steps could be placed on the other side of the garden. Slabs could be removed from the patio area butting the lawn and used to continue the path around your house where the decking is now. You may need extra slabs to complete that.

I don't know if what I have written makes sense. I only wish I could draw to create a layout plan for you. :)

Edit: Having looked at the images again it's possible to put steps down on both sides of the garden but making them a little narrower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Ememz. :)

You're priority here is the safety of your children so with that in mind I have some ideas.

First the removal of all the decking, lethal to walk on went wet or icy and worse if moss, algae etc. grows on it. I would keep the current height of the raised ground but extend it right across the garden, side to side. This in turn removing the need for the balustrade close to the house. Seeing the gate at the side of the house, I think it would be better to place steps down in line with that, away from the central area and at the garage end. The balustrade could be extended right across the end of the raised area from side to side with a gate accessing the steps, which in turn would create a full pathway alongside the garage area and to the external garden gate. If the garden gate is used more than the house side gate then the steps could be placed on the other side of the garden. Slabs could be removed from the patio area butting the lawn and used to continue the path around your house where the decking is now. You may need extra slabs to complete that.

I don't know if what I have written makes sense. I only wish I could draw to create a layout plan for you. :)

Edit: Having looked at the images again it's possible to put steps down on both sides of the garden but making them a little narrower.
That's great advice, thank you. Its pretty much what I have envisaged in my head with a few added extras so it is good to know I am on the right track. I cant wait to get the majority of the balustrade down. I absolutely hate it, feels like a prison.

I am thinking of going with the steps just down one side so that we can incorporate a border or raised planters all down the other side, to get a bit of life back into the garden. I feel like there is nothing that makes it feel like a garden and is a bit depressing at the minute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're more than welcome. :)

I am thinking of going with the steps just down one side so that we can incorporate a border or raised planters all down the other side,

That's a good idea. As you say it will bring life to the garden. (y)

A couple of thoughts. Do you know whether the decking is hollow? I'm wondering if it's covering manholes that may need access at some point. If you have your house plans they may show on that. If the decking is hollow and there are no manholes to worry about, a large amount of soil will be needed to bring it up to the same level as the rest of the garden.

Ask a Question